cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check-in messages with JN5169

matthewsmart
Contributor I

Hello

I'm using the ZigBee Control Bridge software on the JN5169 USB stick, version 1012.  I want to be able receive check-in messages from devices but despite having bound to the poll control cluster, I don't receive anything.  In addition, I don't see anything in the documentation about what message might come up.  I'd like to have these messages for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, we want it to be the heart beat for sleepy end devices and secondly, to know when we can make read requests to the device or remove it from the PAN etc.

Many thanks

Matthew

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

ScottThomasson
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Matthew,

By default, Poll Control functionality is disabled. Have you enabled this functionality?

Go to lines 154 and 155 in zcl_options.h and uncomment both lines to enable it.PollControl.png

Please let me know if this fixes the issue.

Regards,

Scott

0 Kudos

matthewsmart
Contributor I

Hi Scott

I'm just coming back to this having been moved onto another project for the last few weeks.  Unfortunately, what you suggest doesn't seem to work.  I compiled with these two lines uncommented but when I connect with the ZigBee Gateway User Interface, it seems to go crazy, just spewing out tons of output as shown in the screenshot below.  This continues until the UI eventually crashes.  The problem definitely appears to be due to these two lines as when I comment them out again and recompile, everything returns to normal.

In addition, when checkin messages are received, what format will the messages be in?  I don't see anything in the ZigBee IoT Gateway Control Bridge documentation about what the message type would be or the format of the payload?

Many thanks

Matthew

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Matthew,

You can take as reference, the JN-AN-1229 the coordinator is sending broadcast and the 3 data request by the sleep end device. It wakes up every 5 seconds.

Did you check the Application Note: JN-AN-1216 ZigBee 3.0 IoT Control Bridge

C:\NXP\bstudio_nxp\workspace\JN-AN-1216-Zigbee-3-0-IoT-ControlBridge\Doc

Best Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos

matthewsmart
Contributor I

Hi Mario

Many thanks for the response.  I'm not sure if I entirely understand what you are saying.  The scenario we have is that a window/door sensor is checking in every 5 minutes.  When our coordinator starts up, we want to be able to read the open/closed state of such a device so that we can display up-to-date information in our application.  We therefore need to wait until the device checks-in before we can potentially put the device into fast poll and send the read request.

I mentioned previously about the heart-beat, we would like to use device check-ins as a heart-beat or life sign so that we can display to the user whether the device is absent or present (3 missed checkins and we would mark the device as absent).  I could configure an attribute to report at 5 min intervals instead but this would mean the device sending additional messages and shorten the battery life.

Cheers

Matthew

0 Kudos