cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Class USB Driver LPC4357

Jump to solution
williambonsmann
Contributor II

I am currently trying to set up USB communication between the LPC4357 and a Serial to USB adapter. The adapter does not use a generic driver so the project will involve writing one myself. 

I have started by trying to understand the examples of using the LPC4357 as a USB host with a MSD and HID. I then propose to look into the details of the USB_CM3 library (which I don't yet know how to access) and edit the code to meet the requirements of the Serial to USB adapter.

I just wanted to ask if I am on the right track and does anyone have any tips for going about this?

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
williambonsmann
Contributor II

Hi Carlos, 

Thanks for the help.

I talked to a support engineer at FTDI and he said the task of writing a driver for the chip was complex and required previous experience of writing USB drivers and extensive USB knowledge, which I don't have. 

The Serial to USB converter was inside a machine that was still under warranty so could not be changed. 

For people who may be encountering the same problem, I have decided to solve it by using a Raspberry Pi as the bridge between the machine and the microcontroller. FTDI provide a Linux driver for their chip so the driver problem has been avoided. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi William,

I guess the Serial to USB adapter class is similar to a CDC class so the USB Host MSD example is the way to go since  it uses the same transfer type (Bulk).

Could you give us more information about your application? Maybe you can skip using the serial > usb > usb > serial conversion and directly connect the LPC4357 to your serial device?

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,
Carlos Mendoza
Technical Support Engineer

0 Kudos
williambonsmann
Contributor II

Hi Carlos, 

Thanks for the help.

I talked to a support engineer at FTDI and he said the task of writing a driver for the chip was complex and required previous experience of writing USB drivers and extensive USB knowledge, which I don't have. 

The Serial to USB converter was inside a machine that was still under warranty so could not be changed. 

For people who may be encountering the same problem, I have decided to solve it by using a Raspberry Pi as the bridge between the machine and the microcontroller. FTDI provide a Linux driver for their chip so the driver problem has been avoided. 

0 Kudos
Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi William,

Thanks for your response, it is good to hear you have solved the problem.

Best Regards!
Carlos Mendoza
Technical Support Engineer

0 Kudos