Booting from SD on alternate functions

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting from SD on alternate functions

danielbujak
Contributor III

I'm attempting to bring up a custom board for the iMX6ul based on the EVK and it seems like the SD card lines are not the same as the EVK. I'm wondering if it is possible to change which pins the boot uSD card is connected to. For example, could we use the alternate functions for one of the GPIOs as the Data line or is the pin-muxing fixed in the boot ROM?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi danielbujak,

you can just stop in U-boot and edit mmcroot variable to match the sd number you want to use.

Best regards,
Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

danielbujak
Contributor III

Hi Carlos,

I'm actually stuck before that as I am unable to load u-boot at all.

The pinout for the SD card on the custom board vs the EVK is as follows:

Signal

EVK pin

Custom Board pin

SD2_nRST

B4

--

SD2_CLK

D8

D8

SD2_CMD

C8

C8

SD2_DATA0

D7

D7

SD2_DATA1

B7

E3

SD2_DATA2

A7

A7

SD2_DATA3

D6

D6

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please check following post.

U-Boot Migration Example 

Best regards,
Carlos

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

danielbujak
Contributor III

Hi Carlos,

It seems like all this assumes that the device is able to locate the SD card. However, I'm not understanding how the device knows where the SD card is to find uBoot in the first place.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Daniel,

The Boot ROM uses the state of BOOT_MODE and eFUSEs to determine the boot device. For development purposes, eFUSEs used to determine the boot device may be overridden by using GPIO pin inputs.

You can find this information in chapter 8 of Reference Manual.

http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/IMX6ULRM.pdf 

Best regards,
Carlos

0 Kudos