cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic refresh of the memory view

adamrakam
Contributor III

Hi,

I run ADC example and while I managed to send the data from ADC to the console (nbr 1 in the pic) I dont know how to enable automatic refresh of the register memory view(nbr 2 in the pic). The register DR0 does not change while application runs. The register value updates only when I pause the application or right click on the memory area and click 'refresh' (nbr 3 in the pic).

pastedImage_1.png

Thank you,

Frank

8 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Correct. This is expected behaviour.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

adamrakam
Contributor III

Apologies, I did not ask clearly:

Is there a way(option in the IDE) to refresh memory view automatically ? Without pausing the execution of the program or using 'Refresh' from the drop down menu? Probably not.

Thank you for the prompt answer, Adam

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

No there isn't. Thus, as said previously, what you see is expected behaviour.

Theoretically it ought to be possible to add some level of realtime update support for Peripheral Register (in a similar way to Live Variables in the Global Variables view), but this would need very careful design and implementation and is not something we are going to be looking at doing in the near future

If you were using a part with SWO trace support (ie Cortex-M3/M4), then potentially you could look at specific locations (which peripheral registers basically are) in real time using the data watch functionality  - but this isn't available on Cortex-M0 parts such as the LPC11 that you are using.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

pgillaspy
Contributor III

It wouldn't be too much effort to NOT blank out the expression values when running, ie, leave the expression values displayed when resuming.

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. When using GDB in all-stop mode (J-Link, PEmicro debug) there is no way to interact with GDB when target is executing. When GDB runs in non-stop mode (LinkServer debug only), the Eclipse views do not update when target is running. To work around this limitation, we have implemented the "Live Variables" feature that is linked to Global Variables view only. Check out the user guide and give it a try.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

adamrakam
Contributor III

"Live Variables in the Global Variables view"

Did not know about this feature, Thanks.

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello adam,

There isn't the way to refresh memory view automatically .

While this is a method that we needn't stop debugger manually , to view variable .

Please refer to : Automatic Variable, Expression and Memory Display with GDB and Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse 

Hope it helps

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

adamrakam
Contributor III

Thanks a lot for very insightful comments.

I worked before in Keil uVision IDE and STM32(Cortex-M4). I am now looking in MCUXpresso for features I am used to from uVision/Cortex-M4 combination but those were clearly available for different reasons - one of them Cortex-M4 having more powerful debug HW which is not available on Cortex-M0. This is very interesting experience. It makes me think more about what it takes to write an IDE such as MCUXpresso.

Thanks again.