Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

om13093 lpc11c24 telnet connection

Jump to solution
adamrakam
Contributor III

Hi

I am running LPCOpen ADC example and after downloading code to MCU I read this message in the MCUXpresso command line:

pastedImage_1.png

"[MCUXpresso Semihosting Telnet console for nxp_lpcxpresso_11c24_periph_adc.axf started on port 3330]"

Q: What command should I use in Telnet console to connect to the board.

Thanks

Regards, Adam

1 Solution
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

That's the semihosting output console - not one for UART/VCOM output. If you want to display output sent via the UART/VCOM, you'll need to use a separate terminal program.

Alternatively, if you want to modify the application to send output via semihosting, then details of how to modify your LPCOpen package can be found in the MCUXpresso IDE v10.0.0 User Guide, section 11.5.4, "Printf when using LPCOpen".

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

That's the semihosting output console - not one for UART/VCOM output. If you want to display output sent via the UART/VCOM, you'll need to use a separate terminal program.

Alternatively, if you want to modify the application to send output via semihosting, then details of how to modify your LPCOpen package can be found in the MCUXpresso IDE v10.0.0 User Guide, section 11.5.4, "Printf when using LPCOpen".

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support.

adamrakam
Contributor III

Thank you for the prompt reply !

The section 11.5.4, "Printf when using LPCOpen" helped.

Is it possible to redirect/access the output from the IDE console by external application ?  I would like to plot the values in eg Qt. I think it would require some MCUXpresso API and dll that can be linked to other PC based application.

This might be a candidate for a new question.

Thank you.

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

So the simple way would be to copy out the contents of the semihosting console and paste into an external text editor. See section 14.7.2, "Copying the contents of a console" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.0.0 User Guide.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

adamrakam
Contributor III

"So the simple way would be to copy out the contents of the semihosting console and paste into an external text editor. "

I did that but I would like to see a plot in 'real time'.

Is the answer to my question

"Is it possible to redirect/access the output from the IDE console by external application ?"

no ?

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adam,

Does your external application can receive data though a serial port? Maybe it would be easier to redirect the output to be sent via the UART/VCOM and use this communication channel instead.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,
Carlos Mendoza
Technical Support Engineer

adamrakam
Contributor III

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for the reply.

There is not yet external application. I have experience with Qt/CAN combo so that might be a solution. And my application will need CAN anyway.

I tried to use semihosting but a simple line in ADC example eg

DEBUGOUT("%d", sample);

takes cca 75ms to execute on MCU(to send data to the MCUXpresso command line). And interrupts are disabled during this operation .

This makes me think if everybody writes his/her own tool on PC to get/set data from/in the MCU application, to plot data to see trends etc. I worked for big company before and had a special tool that did that. Now I work alone and starting from the bare metal and think how to debug/test my application.

Regards, Adam

adamrakam
Contributor III

Carlos,

I want to add to what I wrote that it is about debugging embedded SW in general, not in relation to NXP tools/MCUs.

Cheers, Adam

0 Kudos
Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adam,

One of the disadvantages of semihosting is that it is rather slow (only several hundreds of bytes per second) because it needs debugger interactions. If you still want to use semihosting there is a faster approach using Segger Real Time Terminal (RTT), you can find more information on this post:

Using Segger Real Time Terminal (RTT) with Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse 

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,
Carlos Mendoza
Technical Support Engineer

0 Kudos