Issue booting with mfgtool and imx6ul nand

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue booting with mfgtool and imx6ul nand

rodneykohout
Contributor I

I am able to flash the nand via the mfgtool and that all seems to do ok. The uboot is flashed using the kobs-ng and I am able to load the uboot when it is rebooted and run from nand. The issue is that the device tree is written using nandWrite and when uboot reads it from nand there are 13 extra bytes of random data at the end of each 512 byte block. The actual write block size is 2048 bytes and 512 is not even a size used on the chip. The nand flash on our board is Toshiba TH58NVG4S0FBAID. I have attached the flash log and the boot log and the nand dump of the device tree loaded by the mfgtool and the memory dump of the device tree after doing the nand read via uboot. I have added a BUNCH of debugging info for trying to figure out what is going on and am not able to get the nand to be recognized by uboot.

Original Attachment has been moved to: mfgtool-nand-dtb.dump.zip

Original Attachment has been moved to: uboot.log.zip

Original Attachment has been moved to: mfgtool-program.log.zip

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Rodney Kohout,

I’ll check the datasheet of this NAND to see if there’s anything that may cause trouble and I’ll check the logs for more insight and I let you know if I find something.

In the meantime, I’d like to confirm if you changed the geometry of the NAND memory in u-boot. It is possible that the geometry of your NAND does not matches the default NAND geometry u-boot is expecting.

Regards,

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I'd like to update this thread with the findings of rodneykohout‌:

"I have been able to solve this issue. I have included a patch I built for uboot and this nand chip. The ECC was not getting set so it was an unrecognized chip and it was including the 13 bytes of error correction every 512 bytes of data."

Thank you Rodney for letting us know! I'm sure it will help other community users!

0 Kudos