AnsweredAssumed Answered

KL17 I2C question

Question asked by Doug Baker on Jun 13, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 by Jorge Antonio Alcala Vazquez

I am working with a KL17 CPU and I have a I2C question.  The KL17 in my application is a slave I2C device that talks to another embedded CPU that is the I2C master. I am using the “Transcational” I2C API since I want to use non blocking transfers.  I have the I2C working for a fixed message size of 2 bytes but my question is what is the recommended method of handling variable messages lengths?   For example, if the master CPU sends or requests  a 2 byte message for the KL17, the I2C bus would have the following (ignoring the start/stop and repeat start bits):

[slave address]  [register] [slave address] [byte1] [byte 2]   

My callback is shown below:

static void i2c_slave_callback(I2C_Type *base, i2c_slave_transfer_t *xfer, void *userData)

{

switch (xfer->event)

{

/*  Transmit request */

case kI2C_SlaveTransmitEvent:

/*  Update information for transmit process */

xfer->data = g_I2C_buff;                     

xfer->dataSize = 3;                                                                                                                                  

break;

/*  Receive request */

case kI2C_SlaveReceiveEvent:

/*  Update information for received process */

xfer->data = g_I2C_buff;                         

xfer->dataSize = 3;             

break;

/*  Transfer done */

case kI2C_SlaveCompletionEvent:

g_SlaveCompletionFlag = true;

break;

default:

g_SlaveCompletionFlag = true;

break;

}

}

Since a write or read of two bytes would also needs to handle the [register] I found that      xfer->dataSize = 3; gave the desired results.  My question is what is the recommended method of sending or receiving different length messages based on the [register] value?

For example say register = 0x02 should be a two byte read and register = 0x03 is a one byte read.  The Kl17 is at slave address 0x28.

[0x28] [0x02] [0x28] [byte1] [byte2]       0x02 is read 2 bytes

[0x28] [0x03] [0x28] [byte1]                         0x01 is read 1 byte

I won’t know how to set the transfer up till I get the get the [register] value.    What is the recommended method for doing this?

Thanks,

Doug

Outcomes