using the LPCXpresso IDE with the LPCXpresso43S67 board and 2 example programs periph_uart and periph_uart_rb. I get garabge on the terminal.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using the LPCXpresso IDE with the LPCXpresso43S67 board and 2 example programs periph_uart and periph_uart_rb. I get garabge on the terminal.

paulhembrook
Contributor II

Using the LPCXpresso IDE with the LPCXpresso43S67 board and 2 example programs periph_uart and periph_uart_rb. I have wired the rsr232 output to the PC rs232 port and run Tera Term. I get text in the Tera Term window but it is garbage. When it is looking for autobaud I hit a key 'A' and a large amount of text garbage comes out. I believe the wiring is correct since I seem to be receiving data. The ring buffer version actually sets the baud rate at 115200 which is what I have set for the Tera Term. When I put a logic analyzer on the receive and use an rs232 interpreter of the logic analyzer I see the same garbage. But when I change the logic level of the rs232 from negative (default) to pos it interprets the data correctly. I do not have control of the logic level in Tera Term. How do I get this to work ??

2 Replies

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if the logic levels can be managed from Tera Term. I would recommend you to use the target MCU UART0 through the virtual communication port (VCOM) UART bridge Link2 function to your host computer using the USB Link2 (J5).

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,
Carlos Mendoza
Technical Support Engineer

0 Kudos

paulhembrook
Contributor II

Carlos,

Thanks for your response.

What I realized after I sent the questions was that the output of the GPIO port used for the Uart is not a high enough voltage level for the PC to accept as RS232 levels. If I add a TTL to RS232 adaptor it works fine since it raises the voltage level and inverts the signal. I noticed that on a board we are design that there is driver/inverters on the TTL lines for the uart port. My analyzer was able to read it because it accepts lower level TTL and when I changed the interpreter to invert the levels it captures valid RS232 traffic.

I have tried the USB/UART examples and they work fine. My end design need is for a true RS232 port not a USB/RS232 port.

So I am good … thanks again for your help.

Paul H.