Why doesn't my FRDM-K64F board show up connected to a COM port in Device Manager when connected to my Win7 PC through USB?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't my FRDM-K64F board show up connected to a COM port in Device Manager when connected to my Win7 PC through USB?

kamyiu
Contributor I

Hello, I just bought the FRDM-K64F board a few days ago. I'm using a Windows 7 PC.

I'm following this startup guide: FRDM-K64F|Freedom Development Platform|Kinetis MCUs|NXP 

I plugged the board to my PC using a USB.  The green light flashes slowly but the RGB LED doesn't turn on when I tilt the board.  Why doesn't it turn on? 

I went ahead to Step 2 and installed the mbedSerial driver, but I don't see the Com Port show up in Device Manager.  What is going on and why is it not working?  I need this COM Port # so I can set up Putty.  Below is an image showing my Device Manager.  It just says "MBED microcontroller USB Device" under Disk drivers but the COM PORT doesn't show up.

Help please.

pastedImage_9.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kam Yiu

If you Green LED is flashing slowly and your Device Manager is showing a "MBED microntroller USB Device", then you are in BOOTLOADER mode. Are you able to see the Bootloader MSD in your windows explorer?

pastedImage_1.png

If so, please follow the instructions in the next page to update the firmware: Firmware FRDM K64F - Handbook | mbed

Please try this and tell me how it goes.

Best Regards

Jorge Alcala

0 Kudos

kamyiu
Contributor I

Jorge,

Thank you for responding.  After I plugged in the board, no LED blinking or BOOTLOADER yet, then I press reset and the BOOTLOADER in windows explorer shows up as shown in your image with the LED blinking slowly.

I'm following the instructions in your link, at the bottom where there's a link that says "Get the latest DapLink firmware for FRDM-K64F here", which takes me to a page with different firmware files - DAPLink rev0243, DAPLink OpenSDA v2.2, P&E Micro, and Segger JLink.  Which one do I need to download for dragging and dropping onto the BOOTLOADER?

2017-06-13_8-34-43.jpg

Thank you.

Kam

0 Kudos

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kameron Yiu

Sorry for the late reply. In the page that I share you in my last response you can find in the bottom of the page the label "rev 0226 [ ... ] ", if you click in the three dots, it will download the file that you need.

Hope this information could help.
Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos