How to program a custom MKW41Z based board, without the MKW41Z FRDM Dev board ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to program a custom MKW41Z based board, without the MKW41Z FRDM Dev board ?

shantamraj
Contributor II

I have designed and fabricated a custom board around MKW41Z BLE mcu. I want to know how to program the mcu. Currently i do not have a MKW41Z Development board, but i do have K82F Dev Board. I wouldn't be able to buy MKW41Z Dev boards. Is it possible to program the custom board using the debugger on K82F Dev Board? Are there any other methods other than buying a ARM JTAG/SWD Debugger.

I also have a CMSIS DAPLINK with me. Can i use it to program MKW41Z? If yes, can you please point the steps to do that?

Also , are there any readymade bootloaders for MKW41Z?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

jasonchiang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1. The flash content of KW41 is empty, you may have SWD interface in your KW41 H/W to be programmed through JTAG debugger or multilink universal tool.

2. Kinetis bootloader or FSCI bootloader which already existed in our release can be used.  

0 Kudos

shantamraj
Contributor II

I got to know about the bootloader.

But i wanted to know if its possible to program the board using the MK20 USB Board that you can see here

Or maybe i can use the Open SDAv2 debug on a different Freedom Dev Board to program my MKW41Z board. Is it possible? Do i just have to upload the Kinetis bootloader on the debug and then connect it to MKW41Z?

0 Kudos

haidong_zheng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

hi 

I think you can use "MK20 USB Board"  to debug MKW41 whatever MK20 firmware is CMSIS DAP or J-Link Lite. 

I suggest  the  MCUXPresso IDE or the latest IAR for your debugging with KW41. 

0 Kudos

shantamraj
Contributor II

Okay, i will try to debug it using the MK20 USB Board.

However i would like to use the Kinetis Design Studio? Will it work with KDS? Or do i have to use MCUXPresso?

0 Kudos