Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SC16IS750 , TRANSCEIVER TO RS-485?

Jump to solution
isaacromero
Contributor II

Hello

I am using NXP SC16IS750 to use it as a bridge between RS-485 and I2C, but I cannot figure out how to connect SC16IS750 to RS-485 without a "Rs-485 transceiver" 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The important thing here is if the UART-logic levels conversion is not required, only then the transceiver is optional, otherwise it is needed.

The Bridge IC receives the data from the microcontroller via the SPI or I 2C-bus interface and sends the data to the UART devices via RS-232 or RS-485 bus interface and when the Bridge IC receives the data from the UART/IrDA/GPIO devices, the Bridge IC will notify the microcontroller by generating an interrupt signal, then the microcontroller can access the data from the Bridge IC via the SPI or I2C-bus interface.

The Transceivers are optional and can be intended for RS-232 or RS-485 communication interface. The Transceivers consist of drivers and receivers. The drivers convert the UART-logic output levels to RS-232 or RS-485 signals, whereas the receivers convert the RS-232 or RS-485 signals to UART-logic input levels. As mentioned, if the UART-logic levels conversion is not required, the Transceivers are optional.

Have a great day,
Jose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The important thing here is if the UART-logic levels conversion is not required, only then the transceiver is optional, otherwise it is needed.

The Bridge IC receives the data from the microcontroller via the SPI or I 2C-bus interface and sends the data to the UART devices via RS-232 or RS-485 bus interface and when the Bridge IC receives the data from the UART/IrDA/GPIO devices, the Bridge IC will notify the microcontroller by generating an interrupt signal, then the microcontroller can access the data from the Bridge IC via the SPI or I2C-bus interface.

The Transceivers are optional and can be intended for RS-232 or RS-485 communication interface. The Transceivers consist of drivers and receivers. The drivers convert the UART-logic output levels to RS-232 or RS-485 signals, whereas the receivers convert the RS-232 or RS-485 signals to UART-logic input levels. As mentioned, if the UART-logic levels conversion is not required, the Transceivers are optional.

Have a great day,
Jose

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!