frdm-kv31f and kms

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frdm-kv31f and kms

andrescherz
Contributor I

How can I verify the KMS flash integrity?

Programmed the FRDMKV31F_SNLESSVEL_KDS and KMS works on the board. Motor tuner gives error that measured resistance is a large negative value? Obviously, motor is connected.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

andrescherz
Contributor I

Thank you for helping.

Motor: http://www.maxonmotorusa.com/medias/sys_master/root/8821067808798/16-301-EN.pdf 

What I meant regarding the script behavior: If I specify motor parameters in advanced tuning, these parameters show up under automatic parameter measurement. Starting the motor measurement reverses the values to 0.1 and   0.0001 irrespective of yes or no in the reload dialog box. But, maybe these are the measurements and default results for unsuccessful completion.

Question: Is there a way to run the motor open loop? I just wan to verify that the output drives the motor.

0 Kudos

linestream-adam
Senior Contributor I

Thanks for sharing the datasheet this helps.

What value are you putting in for Rated Current?  If you are putting in the noload current of 0.234A, this could be too small of a value to get a good resistance measurement from or run the motor for that matter.  Based on the datasheet, this value should be 3.21A.  The more current used for this test the better the result will be.

When clicking "Start Motor Measurement" this will configure the entire drive and will overwrite nearly all of the settings in KMS.  So regardless of what value for resistance you place into the Advanced Tuning Motor Parameters, it will change them to 0.1 Ohm and 0.0001 H in order to do the parameter measurements.

In Motor Manager, on the Advanced Tuning page you can manually specify all of the motor parameters.  After you input the values, click "Update Motor Drive Configuration", this will use your provided values to configure the drive.

0 Kudos

andrescherz
Contributor I

Thank you for the help. Good point regarding the current. No, I used the nominal current.

pastedImage_2.png

More work today: switched over to sensored version and connected the halls to J8. Also discovered the "dashboard" and see the feedback sensors as speed. This view confirmed that there is no current output. Is there another enable? Trying to start speed control causes fault: motor stalled.

pastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos

linestream-adam
Senior Contributor I

Did you retry the motor parameter identification with the larger current in the sensorless project?

The sensored projects only support quadrature encoders not hall effect sensors.

0 Kudos

andrescherz
Contributor I

I had the full current from the start. The sensored project was a way to test some functionality of the board.

0 Kudos

andrescherz
Contributor I

Hello Philip,

Thank you for the reply. Went through the suggestions without success. Even tried a different motor. Some interesting observations:

1. The KMS script reloads 0.1 Ohms and 0.4 mH in the "Start Motor Measurement" no matter the response to the dialog (yes/no). The output current is 0.0451 mA no matter what the setting for the identification current. The measurement is unsuccessful at >=6 % and does not finish (after waiting a really long time at <=5 % (lowest allowed setting is 2.2%)).

2. Using system inertia measurement shows different outputs depending on the settings for the motor parameters. At the default (0.1 Ohm, 0.1 mH), the output drive signal has some activity after the initial drive. At the values from the motor datasheet, only some portion of the drive is active. At no time, however does the motor move.

Any suggestions what to try next?

motor output.png

0 Kudos

linestream-adam
Senior Contributor I

Andre,

Can you describe the motor you are attempting to use?  A datasheet would be fantastic.

With respect to item 1, the defaults that KMS is prompting about are the amount of current used and the pwm frequency, the resistance and inductance are changed to those values to facilitate the test.

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

comms_OK.png

If KMS is working if the connection from the KMS GUI to the EVB can happen. 

I have seen this error before with a drone motor I was testing.  It has a very small resistance and the KMS tool was using too much current and getting confused. 

What are the specs of your motor?

Some ideas to try.

First I suggest you measure the motor resistance with an DMM.  Measure across two phases and divide by 2.

Then, using the Motor Manager- click on this icon

wizard.png This brings up the Motor Manager - the ICON turns to this

motormanager.png

In the Automatic Parameter Measurement you can reduce the Identification currents to see if that helps.

automeasure.png

If all of this does not work then you can enter the resistance manually in The Advanced Tuning tab and then continue on your way doing the auto inductance and flxu measurement. 

If this does not work, we can work on other ways to finish the measurement. 

0 Kudos