What can cause a "system reset" on LPC1517?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can cause a "system reset" on LPC1517?

mikelease
Contributor I

This happens sporadically within a tight delay loop about 1 second after code startup. The SYSRST bit is the only bit set in the reset status register. This is on a custom board with three LPC1517s running identical code but only happens with one particular micro on two different boards.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Milk,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and the opportunity to serve you.

I'd highly recommend you to do the more testing to locate the root cause.

For instance, look into the code and figure out the rule of the issue, then replicate the issue on other MCU, or

run some other code demos on this 'system reset' MCU and check whether the identical issue can still happen or not.

Hope it helps.
Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

mikelease
Contributor I

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for the response. I have narrowed down the failure point to a single line of C code which is:

for ( x = 0; x < 5000; x++ ) { ; }

That is just a delay while some LEDs are turned on after power-up or a reset.

My code will run until it hits a breakpoint on that line. If I move the breakpoint to the following line I will get the reset. As I said, the SYSRST bit is the only bit set in the system reset status register (I clear any set bits after reading the register) so it doesn’t appear to be an external reset, watchdog reset, etc. The LPC15xx user’s manual doesn’t have much information on the meaning of the SYSRST other than a vague mention of it being caused by a software reset.

My board has four LPC1517s, three are executing the exact same code and this portion of the code is also executed on the fourth micro. I have tested all four micros on four different boards and have only seen the reset problem on two micros. They were in the same physical location on the board both times so there may be something hardware related (or not). The other odd thing is it usually seems to get in a mode where it consistently works right (not resetting) or consistently gets the reset during this delay loop.

If there isn’t a known problem related to this then I am hoping to get more definition around the meaning of the SYSRST bit and what causes it to be set.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

It seems so weird, I was wondering if you can share the simple testing code, and I'll to do some testing work on my site.

I'd also suggest that you can seek the support form the ARM expert about this issue.

ARM Community:

ARM Community
Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos