Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32KEVAL UART

Jump to solution
hajianik
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Looking at the schematic of S32K144EVAL, I could not find a level shifter for UART/RS 232 which is unfortunate.

But my question is that can I use the LIN connector's LIN pin(OFF THE TRANSCEIVER) as TX UART to connect to an external UART/232 convertor to communicate(just send) with a serial terminal such as TERA TERM?

Thanks,

Koorosh Hajiani

0 Kudos
1 Solution
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Why do you need RS232 if your PS doesn’t have Serial port? If you need it for some reason, then use the Arduino shield which has max232.

However, for communication with PC you do not need RS232. There is OpenSDA (MK20DX128VFM5) which provides a virtual serial port. It bridges UART0 on MCU with an USB host. So you need only terminal app on your PC.

Regards,

Daniel

View solution in original post

6 Replies
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I don’t think this LIN solution would work.

There is USB connector for UART communication.

Also, UART is routed to headers, using MAX232 you can convert UART to RS232.

If you need RS232 connector, this board is compatible with Arduino Uno

and there are shields such as RS232 Shield V2.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
hajianik
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I KNOW ABOUT THE MAXIM CHIP . I was wondering why this is not populated on the board.

My goal is to communicate to the PC over a RS232 link, for this purpose I need UART->RS232-> USB-> PC SERIAL TERMINAL APP(I don't have a serial port on my PC). When you say "there is a USB for the UART" , I don't understand how is that related to what I'm trying to do. I know that micro usb is mapped as a serial com port on the PC? But I still need level shifting of the UART .

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Koorosh Hajiani

0 Kudos
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Why do you need RS232 if your PS doesn’t have Serial port? If you need it for some reason, then use the Arduino shield which has max232.

However, for communication with PC you do not need RS232. There is OpenSDA (MK20DX128VFM5) which provides a virtual serial port. It bridges UART0 on MCU with an USB host. So you need only terminal app on your PC.

Regards,

Daniel

hajianik
Senior Contributor I

Yes It works. It is UART1 on my board. Thank you for letting me know about this. Did not have a clue.

So this is all USB hardware and no serial port(RS232) on PC side?

Thanks,

Koorosh

danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Yes, this is USB Communications Device Class (CDC).

For more information refer to OpenSDA User's Guide.

Sorry, it is UART1.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
hajianik
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

Well, I need it eventually since our development board will not have OPEN SDA. there are commercially available bridges that convert RS232 to USB that will map as a virtual com port, Most of the eval boards they provide an RS232 port.

I digress, So if I send data on UART 0 , I can see it on the terminal app on my PC? Is that right?

I missed it on the schematics. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Thanks,

Koorosh Hajiani

0 Kudos