cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

long compile time for big project

MichaelT
Contributor I
Hi,
I am working on a huge projet (300 files, output is 250kb binary file). I am looking at how I could increase the compile time of the project as it takes up to 2 minutes to compile the whole project. My computer is a P4 2.8Ghz, with 1 Gb RAM. My hard drive is the old IDE technology.

My question is: if I am looking at changing my desktop computer to optimize the compile time, what should I look at ? Of course the clock speed certainly has a big effect, but I certainly will not fing a 100 ghz CPU. Should I look at a dual/quad core CPU ?  Was is the bottleneck in my situation: Clock speed, Hard drive access time (7200 rpm IDE, cache ?) or RAM speed ? Is CodeWarrior optimized to work on a multiple core CPU?

Anybody has a trick to decrease compile time by changing windows settings or anything else?

Thanks,
Michael.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Quasar
Contributor I
Hi Michael,

I don't know if this will help you but ... last week I made a comparison between my laptop and a colleague desktop.
My laptop is a intel dualcore @ 2.2GHz and 2GB ram. My colleague is a single core 2GHz and 2GBram. I have a fresh XP intalled, his XP is older.
On his PC the compiling takes about 35min, on my laptop takes 21min. So ... it seems that a dual core is better... and ... a quad is even better.

I not very familiar with CW but i notice (at least for CW for StarCore) an option in Edit/Preference/Concurent Compiles that might help you.

Best regards,
0 Kudos