help desiding what ide to use

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help desiding what ide to use

seangreen
Contributor I

Hi all, new to nxp (coming from ateml). Looking for the right IDE to use for the LPC2361  chip. I may use the MCB2370  dev kit for learning. I did see this.

Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) for Kinetis MCUs|NXP 

Quite a few options there. I'll be using c/c++ a high emphasis on CAN coding for automobiles. I'll want to make a bootloader possibly this one.

https://www.lpcware.com/content/nxpfile/an10759-usb-secondary-isp-bootloader-lpc23xx

And want to use a simple on board programmer (isp or like)  to the main code.

Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

Sean,

we have been using Keil for the last 15 years (for ARM, almost 25 years since we started using Keil for 8051 devices) and are very happy with it! Makes you independent of the actual chip manufacturer when/if you are going to use other manufacturers chips for other projects down the road. Keil is an ARM company, so their compiler is probably the best one there is on the market :smileyhappy:

Personally I don't like to stick with the many different and closed IDE's from the various manufacturers. Of course they have some very good reasons to "trap" you into their own tools, hoping that it will be too problematic/too much work for you to change to some other chip vendors chips and tools if you need to (NXP just changed "horse" dropping the LPCOpen framework that has been active for many years for their chips, and which they talked us all into using, now the new buzzword is "MCUExpresso" and "SDK" and LPCOpen is dropped for new chips. Wonder what the next big gimmick will be  (maybe MCUExpresso is dropped in the near future and something even "smarter" is coming :smileywink:)

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Sean,

Use MCUXpresso Integrated Development Environment (IDE), please!

The IDE support LPC serials and Kinetis serials MCU.

see here:

http://www.nxp.com/products/software-and-tools/run-time-software/mcuxpresso-software-and-tools/mcuxp... 

Have a great day,
TIC  Weidong Sun

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos