remoteproc (rpmsg/openAMP) between CPU and MCU in separate chips

ssinfod
Contributor IV

Hello,

I'm reading about remoteproc (rpmsg and openAMP):
RPMsg-Lite User's Guide: RPMsg Component
GitHub - NXPmicro/rpmsg-lite: RPMsg implementation for small MCUs
open-amp/openamp_ref.pdf at master · OpenAMP/open-amp · GitHub

It seems that remoteproc (rpmsg) is principally use when two CPU or when a CPU/MCU are inside the same silicon chip.
(ex: i.mx6 SoloX or i.mx7 or vybrid)

However, I would like to know if :
Is it possible to use RPMSG between an (external) Kinetis MCU and a (external) Single core i.mx6 ?
(or)
Is it possible to use RPMSG between two external Kinetis MCU ?

In short, does RPMSG / OpenAMP applies only to single silicon chip with multiple cores or can I use it between two separate chips ? What would be the best interface between these chips ? (UART or SPI ?)

Thanks
ssinfod

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi ssinfod,

RPMsg is used by the OS which manages the Memory Unit, so it is not possible to use it with 2 external MCUs.

In this case the best interface will depend completely on the requirements of your application. I recommend you to read general literature about communication interfaces and decide which protocol meets your requirements.

In i.mx devices you have a wide variety of connectivity options, for instance UART, SPI I2C, USB, Ethernet, CAN and some others.

Best regards,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos