cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach to running target with MCUXpresso and jlink

daver_
Contributor I

Hi,

I am using a FRDM-k64 development board using the embedded j-link probe.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to attach the debugger to a running target.  There were a couple of threads I found that linked to possible solutions, but most of the links were dead.  I was hoping that there was going to be an option in the debug configuration settings that disabled reloading the code and resetting the processor but I'm not seeing it.  Is there somewhere else I should be looking?  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, it is now supported. For details, see section 10.3.1, "Connecting to a running target (attach)" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.1 User Guide.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dave,

Just a note to say that 'attach to a running target' will be supported for Segger debug connections in the next release of MCUXpresso IDE, expected later this year.

In the current version 10.0.0 'attach' is only available for LinkServer and P&E debug connections, so changing the OpenSDA debug firmware would be another option.  

Within the IDE;  Help -> Additional resources -> OpenSDA Firmware updates, will take you to a site where you can select alternative OpenSDA firmware. I believe the default for the FRDM-K64 board is CMSIS-DAP (LinkServer) firmware so perhaps you have already changed to J-Link.

Yours,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

giusloq
Contributor III

Just a note to say that 'attach to a running target' will be supported for Segger debug connections in the next release of MCUXpresso IDE, expected later this year.

Is it now supported? Starting from which MCUXpresso version?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dave,

You can look here: Attaching to a Running Target with Segger J-Link, GDB and Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse 

This is the process I'm using for MCUXpresso IDE too.

For this you have to install the GNU ARM Eclipse plugins into MCUXpresso (this will allow you as well to re-use KDS projects): MCUXpresso IDE: Importing Kinetis Design Studio Projects | MCU on Eclipse 

Then use a debug configuration like this, pointing to your ARM GDB execuable (unless you want to use variables for it):

pastedImage_3.png

I hope this helps,

Erich