Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S912XEQ512 & Maskset identifier Suffix

Jump to solution
Eric_t
Contributor III

Hi

I am a bit confused about the  Maskset identifier Suffix of S912XEQ512BMAA and S912XEQ512F1MAA controllers.

The first one has Maskset identifier Suffix "B" (flexible fab) and the second "F1" (ATMC)

Does anyone know what exactly is the difference?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Eric,

There isn’t functional difference between S912XEQ512BMAA and S912XEQ512F1MAA.

When you will order S912XEQ512F1MAA you will get S12XEQ512 with maskset 1M12S (ATMC).

When you order S912XEQ512BMAA, you will get MCU with maskset 3M25J (TSMC FAB3) or 1M12S (ATMC).

Most of the automotive products are produced in two locations for avoiding any issues in the case of a production outage. The devices may be the same, but the maskset must be different due to the different production line. By part number you may select maskset specific part number (like F1 or J3), maskset revision specific part number (A or B) or generic (mask-independent) part number (like MC9S12XEQ512MAA).

Note: I mentioned S912XEQ512AMAL (A maskset revision, different package) in my previous reply as an example because I didn’t found S912XEQ512AMAA part number in our system. Sorry for confusing.

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
Radek

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

8 Replies
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

F1MAA: F - mask identifier ATMC, 1 - mask revision, M – temperature option, …

BMAA: (-) mask is not specified (blank), B - firmware revision, M – temperature option, …

The identifier of mask set is missing in the second part number (blank) this means it is generic / mask-independent part number. “B” stands for firmware revision.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Eric_t
Contributor III

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the response.

I am a bit confused about the "mask identifier".

It refers to PARTID (001A, 001B) or to something else?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Eric,

When you order S912XEQ512BMAA, you will get MCU with maskset 3M25J (TSMC FAB3) or 1M12S (ATMC).

When you order for example S912XEQ512AMAL, you will get MCU with an older version of firmware (older mask revision) - in this case, maskset 2M25J (TSMC FAB3) or 0M12S (ATMC).

The masksets 3M25J and 1M12S (2M25J and 0M12S) are technically the same MCUs, just produced in a different fab.

The difference between 3M25J and 2M25J (1M12S and 0M12S) is in MUCts03980 FTM: EEE Brownout handling fix by updating EEE firmware. See errata for more details:

http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/errata/MSE9S12XEQ512_2M25J.htm#xxMUCts03980 

http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/errata/MSE9S12XEQ512_3M25J.htm 

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
Radek

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Eric_t
Contributor III

Hi Radek,

Thank you for the response.

I have to redesign a product and replace the MC9S12XDT512 with an XEQ controller, so  I have to be sure what controller I have to order.

You are referring about  S912XEQ512BMAA and S912XEQ512AMAL but I need to understand what is the difference between S912XEQ512BMAA and S912XEQ512F1MAA. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Eric,

There isn’t functional difference between S912XEQ512BMAA and S912XEQ512F1MAA.

When you will order S912XEQ512F1MAA you will get S12XEQ512 with maskset 1M12S (ATMC).

Most of the automotive products are produced in two locations for avoiding any issues in the case of a production outage. The devices may be the same, but the maskset must be different due to the different production line. By part number you may select maskset specific part number (like F1 or J3), maskset revision specific part number (A or B) or generic (mask-independent) part number (like MC9S12XEQ512MAA).

Note: I mentioned S912XEQ512AMAL (A maskset revision, different package) in my previous reply as an example because I didn’t found S912XEQ512AMAA part number in our system. Sorry for confusing.

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
Radek

dgheyl
Contributor I

Radek,

This question is related to the original post. I am trying to find alternate parts for a 9S12XET256CAG and have found some possibilities that have J1 or J2 Maskset IDs added. The reference manual says that this Mask ID can be blank, or start with a J, F, or W, and have a second digit indicating mask or firmware revision. Is there a document that explains all the different possibilities and what each means? I cannot find such a document. In fact, I can't even find errata documents as I have for other processors. Can you provide any help or point me in a direction? Alternatively, if you could say I don't need to worry about this mask code, that any of them will work, that would be even better.

Regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dave,

The meaning of letters and numbers in part number if specified in reference manual - chapter Appedix F Ordering Information. https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MC9S12XEP100RMV1.pdf

Important is also Table 1-6. Assigned Part ID Numbers.

The errata documents are available at S12XE web pages, under Documentation tab

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/additional-mpu-mcus-architectures/16-bi...

Use the filter on the left side to display all erratas.

Currently, we do not provide such a mapping table with all the different possibilities and what each means. But, as you mention, the errata is right source for comparing differences between maskset versions.

I hope it helps you.

Best regards

Radek

0 Kudos
Eric_t
Contributor III

Thank you  Radek

Now it is clear what is the difference.

0 Kudos