KW41Z/KW40Z power consumption

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KW41Z/KW40Z power consumption

benblaukopf
Contributor I

Using an FRDM-KW41Z/my own PCB with a R41Z module, DCDC setup for Auto-Buck at V1P8 == 2.8V. 

I've looked at the power consumpion on both my own app and the bare metal HRS example in the Connectivity Suite, and the power seems to be higher than I expect, running on the KW41Z. The figures are comparable to the KW40Z, and there is some documentation provided for that: 

http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/application-notes/AN5272.pdf  (relates to the KW40Z) 

According to 

http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/application-notes/AN5272.pdf

p22, in LLS3/Idle there are regular power spikes at 100ms intervals. These spikes are the DCDC refreshing. I observe these spikes on my setup, and they draw more total current than I expect - comparable to the figure indicated on p25 (8.3uA in LLS3/Idle). The datasheet for the KW40Z indicates that LLS3 draws 3uA, and the RTC will be another 357nA.

Where is the other 5uA average current draw going? This is pretty big.....

I have tried, with no apparent effect:

* Putting my board into sleep mode 4 (VLSS1/Idle) to see if this had any noticeable effect on sleep mode current - it did not.

* Setting Half FET (the MK41Z Reference Manual mentions this) and Half frequency in DCDC REG3 when going into pulsed mode. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

evgenyerlihman
Contributor IV

Hey Ben,

Which pins on the FRDM-KW41Z did you use for current consumption measurements?

Thanks,

Evgeny

0 Kudos

gerardo_rodriguez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ben,

The KW40Z datasheet indicates a maximum value of 10.4µA for LLS3 in buck mode, so 8.3µA is still within that range. This value can vary from part to part.

For measuring current in the FRDM-KW41Z in buck mode consider this document FRDM-KW41Z Development Platform Errata part 3. There is a resistor (R90) than can cause some leakage current when P3V3_BRD is disconnected.

Also note that the values for the current in buck mode in the KW41Z datasheet considers 1.8V at the VDD_1P8OUT.

Regards,
Gerardo

0 Kudos

lorenzbornholdt
Contributor I

Hi Gerardo,

could there be the same issue with the resistor in Bypass mode?

Regards

Lorenz

0 Kudos

gerardo_rodriguez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Lorenz,

This issue is not present in Bypass mode since there is a dedicated short trace SH504 for measuring the V_MCU current. However, it can be a problem if you are removing J8 for isolating P3V3_BRD since some current will flow from the reset pin to the resistor back to the P3V3_BRD net.

The problem in Buck mode is that you are measuring the whole board current and you must remove J8 for isolating P3V3_BRD.

Regards,

Gerardo

0 Kudos