AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I assign a static IPv6 address to a Thread border router?

Question asked by David Piškula on Apr 10, 2017
Latest reply on May 4, 2017 by David Piškula

Hello,

I am using the USB-KW41Z with a Raspberry Pi 2B, running Ubuntu MATE as a border router for my Thread network. I need to send data from the USB to the Raspberry and to do that I am trying to use the socket API provided with the demos. Using the shell socket demo on my FRDM-KW41Z REEDs I confirmed that I can send data over UDP sockets back and forth between the devices and the RPi, therefore I assume I should be able to do so between the USB and the RPi as well.

My problem is, I don't know how to get the dynamic IPv6 address, assigned to the network adapter on RPi, during runtime. My first idea was to make that address static but I can't figure out how to do that. However, if there is a way to get the dynamic IP address while the border router is running, that would most likely be a better solution.

So, I would like to know either how to make the border router use a static IP for the network adapter on the RPi or how to read the IP of the adapter during runtime.

Edit: I have tried assigning a static IPv6 address to the RPi through both the network manager and the /etc/network/Interfaces file. I also tried telling the Ubuntu network manager to ignore the specific mac address and interface. However, whenever I assign the IP, I lose all connectivity to the Thread network. I can neither ping nor send data through sockets to the devices from RPi and vice versa.

Thank you very much for any advice you can offer.

David Piškula

Outcomes