cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso Debug icon crash

Jump to solution
JohnDeMar
Contributor IV

I've installed  MCUXpresso IDE 10.0.0.201703211831 under Windows 7 (x86) with Java VM 25.111-b14 (as reported from Help->About->Configuration.

It has been working fine with a new project (LPC-4330 Chip) with existing sourcecode imported. I am using a Ulink2 pod in SWD mode. It worked great for the first few debug session. recongnized the ULink2, downloads, begins the session, steps, runs, shows symbols, breakpoints, etc.  Just what I need.

Now, every time I hit the "blue bug icon" to begin a new session, it does nothing. I've deleted the Run/Debug Settings and created a new one, but it still does not work. I've created a new workspace, imported the project, made a new debug settings, and it still does nothing.

I looked around for a solution and only found an old reference (LPCXPressor 7.xx) that said to check the .metadata/.log file. Each time I click the "blue bug icon" and nothing happens, it puts the following into the .log file:

!ENTRY com.crt.log 4 -1 2017-04-03 10:19:10.573
!MESSAGE java.lang.NullPointerException
!STACK 0
java.lang.Exception: org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
 at com.crt.utils.general.Reporter.log(Reporter.java:603)
 at com.crt.quickstart.actions.DebugAction.run(DebugAction.java:75)
 at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.runWithEvent(PluginAction.java:247)
 at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WWinPluginAction.runWithEvent(WWinPluginAction.java:228)
 at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:565)
 at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.lambda$5(ActionContributionItem.java:436)
 at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
 at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4418)
 at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1079)
 at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4236)
 at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3824)
 at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$4.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1121)
 at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
 at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1022)
 at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:150)
 at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:693)
 at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
 at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:610)
 at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:148)
 at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:138)
 at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
 at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
 at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
 at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
 at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
 at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
 at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:673)
 at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:610)
 at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1519)
Caused by: org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
 at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:65)
 at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invokeUsingClass(InjectorImpl.java:282)
 at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invoke(InjectorImpl.java:264)
 at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.invoke(ContextInjectionFactory.java:132)
 at org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.internal.HandlerServiceHandler.execute(HandlerServiceHandler.java:152)
 at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:494)
 at com.crt.quickstart.actions.DebugAction.run(DebugAction.java:73)
 ... 30 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
 at com.crt.quickstart.views.QuickstartCommandHandler.execute(QuickstartCommandHandler.java:31)
 at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:295)
 at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.E4HandlerProxy.execute(E4HandlerProxy.java:90)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
 at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
 at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:55)
 ... 36 more

Any suggestions???

-John DeMar

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jsdemar/ 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

basically the IDE is intended to be used starting from the "Quickstart Panel" and using its functionalities.

We strongly recommend to start all the debugging actions from there or from the "blue" debug button, which offer all the IDE auto configuration capabilities for the launcher configurations.

In your scenario:

1. If you have the "Quickstart panel" and you close it, when debugging (using the "blue debug button") you will se that info dialog
  2. If you restart the IDE having the "Quickstart panel" closed, the next time you use the "blue debug button" you will see the exception in the log and the button does nothing

This will be enhanced in the next IDE release.

Ciao,

MCUXpresso IDE Support Team.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi John,

can you please confirm if the "Quickstart Panel" has been closed? If so, you should open it again (using the toolbar menu "Windows -> Show View -> Other" and select "Quickstart -> Quickstart Panel") or reset the perspective (using "Window -> Perspective -> Reset Perspective...").

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support Team

JohnDeMar
Contributor IV

Thank you. That helps in the situation where this message occurs:

pastedImage_1.png

Simply closing the quick-start tab causes this problem. Selecting a project does not work as the dialog instructed. Following your instructions and resetting the perspective resolves the error. 

For my original situation (no warning dialog, just a null-pointer exception in the log), I did a complete uninstall and reinstall. Then, allowed the debugger executables and port accesses to make it through the firewall and AVG antivirus. The debug sessions began working after that.

-John DeMar
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jsdemar/

0 Kudos
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

basically the IDE is intended to be used starting from the "Quickstart Panel" and using its functionalities.

We strongly recommend to start all the debugging actions from there or from the "blue" debug button, which offer all the IDE auto configuration capabilities for the launcher configurations.

In your scenario:

1. If you have the "Quickstart panel" and you close it, when debugging (using the "blue debug button") you will se that info dialog
  2. If you restart the IDE having the "Quickstart panel" closed, the next time you use the "blue debug button" you will see the exception in the log and the button does nothing

This will be enhanced in the next IDE release.

Ciao,

MCUXpresso IDE Support Team.

0 Kudos
bigbrett
Contributor II

Hi lpcxpresso_support‌,

I get the same issue many releases later. Is this still the case, or has it been fixed?

0 Kudos