AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do YOU navigate the documentation?

Question asked by SCOTT MILLER on Apr 3, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 by SCOTT MILLER

A constant source of frustration for me when working with Kinetis MCUs is the difficulty of finding relevant documentation.  To give an example, I've been trying to find information on the recommended setup for the VBAT pin on the K22F to avoid crashes from dead or missing batteries.

A Google search took me to someone else's site where I found 'Kinetis Peripheral Module Quick Reference', which is so far the only document I've found with anything like the answer I was looking for.

This document exists on NXP's site and can be found by searching for its name, but I've been all over the site browsing for it and I have yet to find it that way.

If I go to the documentation library, it won't let me search for all document types for a particular part - it returns no results.  If I pick one document type and search, then I can change my filters on the left side and see all documents.

In this case, that still does me no good.  It's not one of the 252 documents that show up under K2x, as far as I can tell.

The way I would logically expect it to work is that each level of the documentation hierarchy would list documents that apply to all devices below them, and documentation specific to lower levels (including to a particular device) would only show up at those lower levels.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  If I go down to a particular device, I miss many relevant app notes and user's guides.  If I start at a higher level, I have to sift through thousands of irrelevant documents specific to one development board or MCU.

What am I doing wrong here?  What is the expected route to this kind of documentation?

Scott

Outcomes