AnsweredAssumed Answered

MMA8652FC - Using "Standby" mode as a "Sleep" mode

Question asked by Nicole L on Mar 28, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 by Tomas Vaverka

Hello,

On the MMA8652FC, I noticed there was an Auto-Sleep function that would set the ODR to a lower rate, if desired. I was looking into this because the solution I am working on is battery-powered and it would be preferred to have a lower power consumption. Because of this, I am trying to find ways to reduce the power consumption of the MMA8652FC.

I saw that writing 0x00 in CTRL_REG1 to put the mode on standby greatly reduces the power consumption. I have tried this and, indeed, saw that the power consumption of the accelerometer greatly decreased. However, I have been unsuccessful in trying to return the accelerometer to active mode. I did put a delay for about 20ms after reading that there is some time taken to transition between active and standby mode. This did not help. I also saw that the standby mode may wipe out some register values so I also tried to reinitialize the accelerometer but I do not think this goes through because it does not even go back into active mode.

Would this be a feasible solution at all? I would love to be able to switch between standby mode and active mode at will without only having to do this for register writes.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

NL

Outcomes