OSBDM/OSJTAG problem: "Open Serial Port" always failed!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSBDM/OSJTAG problem: "Open Serial Port" always failed!

Jump to solution
jerrylian
Contributor IV

I am using development kit TWR-K53N512.

* Originally OSBDM/OSJTAG firmware version is 29.07, I can see three drivers in Device Manager (as expected):

----  Jungo                                -> PEMicro USB Serial Port (i1)

----  Jungo                                -> WinDriver

----  LibUSB-Win32 Devices   -> Open Source BDM - Debug Port

* "Terminal Utility" of "OSBDM OSJTAG Virtual Serial Toolkit" works fine!

--- "Open Serial Port" always success!

* After updating the OSBDM/OSJTAG firmware to version 31.21, I can see three drivers as expected:

----  Jungo                                -> WinDriver

----  LibUSB-Win32 Devices   -> Open Source BDM - Debug Port
----  Ports (COM & LPT)          -> OSBDM/OSJTAG - CDC Serial Port (COM16)

* However, "Terminal Utility" of "OSBDM OSJTAG Virtual Serial Toolkit" is not working anymore!

--- because "Open Serial Port" always fail.

Anybody has the same issue? How to fix?

Thanks!

Jerry

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I have test it on my side.

You said your com port is COM16, but you didn't select the COM16 in your terminal window.

This is the screenshot from my side.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

The port just have COM1-COM8 to select, so you need to modify your com port number to COM1-COM8 in the device manager.

pastedImage_3.png

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jerry Lian,

Please refer to this post:

P&E Microcomputer Systems: Over 30 years as an Industry leader in Embedded Systems Development Tools... 

Update the firmware and install the newest driver in your PC again.

If you still have the problem, just let me know.

Or, you also can contact with P&E engineer, because it is from P&E micro, they will be more familiar with the driver failed problem:

P&E Microcomputer Systems: Over 30 years as an Industry leader in Embedded Systems Development Tools... 

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
jerrylian
Contributor IV

Hi, Kerry:

From "P&E Micro" company website, I have downloaded:

* firmware_updater (Date: 10/26/2012)

* osbdm_osjtag_virtual_serial_toolkit (Date: 4/27/2011)

* PEDrivers (Dates: 2009-2014)

Installation of those software did NOT solve my problems.

If we check the dates of those software, we can see that "P&E Micro" has NOT updated their software for a long time!

I have posted my problem on "P&E Micro" website, hope they can fix the problem.

Thanks!

Jerry

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jerry,

Could you give me a picture that the Virtual Serial is not working?

I also update the firmware on my TWR-K53 board, it also works.

Please also tell me what the PC system you are using? Win7?

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
jerrylian
Contributor IV

Thanks Kerry:

Did you use "Port: USB COM" when you tested?

Here is the scenario on my Windows-7:

fail.png

Jerry

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I have test it on my side.

You said your com port is COM16, but you didn't select the COM16 in your terminal window.

This is the screenshot from my side.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

The port just have COM1-COM8 to select, so you need to modify your com port number to COM1-COM8 in the device manager.

pastedImage_3.png

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
jerrylian
Contributor IV

Hi, Kerry:

Thanks for your detailed instruction.

* In my computer, COM1-COM15 are all "in use", so P&E port uses COM16.

* In Virtual-Serial-Toolkit, we can only choose COM1-COM8, USB-COM. And USB-COM is confusing:

--- With old version of OSBDM/OSJtag firmware, we just use USB-COM by default.

--- But for new version of OSBDM/OSJtag firmware, USB-COM becomes meanlingless.

* So it is a bug of Virtual-Serial-Toolkit, they should include all COMs, or allow us to input manually.

Thanks anyway!

Jerry

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jerry Lian,

Don't worry about COM1-COM15 are all "in use", if ports in the device manger don't list it, you can change you COM16 to the not list COM number.

About the toolkit bug, it is from the P&E micro, you can report to them, but I think it doesn't influence the usage after you change the COM port to COM1-COM8.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
jerrylian
Contributor IV

Hi, Kerry:

You right, I googled that "in use" COMs may not be actually in use, and the fake "in use" status can be reset by appropriate operations.

Thanks for your great support!

Jerry

0 Kudos