cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the best programmer for S08

Jump to solution
juliancox
Contributor V

Continuing my learning curve in migrating from LPC900 to S08, I need to debug a new design and subsequently program the first 100 production units. My problem is space. I will be using a DEMOQE board + proto board for functional design and test and a Freescale USBDM pod for testing the prototype PCB. This board can easily accommodate the 6-pin BDM header, but space is a MAJOR problem for the production boards. What is the minimum (smallest) interface needed for programming? Pre-programming the chips is not an option as there may be subsequent changes.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KrisRutecki
Contributor III

Hello, I have successfully used  4 pins to debug and connect a 9S08 series micro controller.  Those are RESET, BKGD, Gnd, Vcc. I have also changed the connector to a 4 pin with 2mm spacing and so far had more then a thousand units programmed with minor glitches ( production decided to use the same connector to power the target PCB as well & fried the P&E Multilink by mistakenly connecting +12V ). The target PCB actually only has a dedicated spot for connecting to the programmer - the header or socket is usually not soldered there.  The connection cable is terminated with 4 male pins which just plug into the holes on the PCB. Such a connection needs to be secured by hand, which is not a problem since the whole operation lasts less then 10 seconds. The price is 2mm x 10mm area on both sides of the board - since the 4 holes are metalized, and a doctored P&E cable which has to be rebuild once every two years.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KrisRutecki
Contributor III

Hello, I have successfully used  4 pins to debug and connect a 9S08 series micro controller.  Those are RESET, BKGD, Gnd, Vcc. I have also changed the connector to a 4 pin with 2mm spacing and so far had more then a thousand units programmed with minor glitches ( production decided to use the same connector to power the target PCB as well & fried the P&E Multilink by mistakenly connecting +12V ). The target PCB actually only has a dedicated spot for connecting to the programmer - the header or socket is usually not soldered there.  The connection cable is terminated with 4 male pins which just plug into the holes on the PCB. Such a connection needs to be secured by hand, which is not a problem since the whole operation lasts less then 10 seconds. The price is 2mm x 10mm area on both sides of the board - since the 4 holes are metalized, and a doctored P&E cable which has to be rebuild once every two years.

0 Kudos
bpedm
Contributor I

You might look at Tag-Connect. They don't have a cable specifically branded for NXP but you could easily make an adapter. With these you don't need a connector at all, just pads on the board (or pads and holes if you want to use it for debug as well and leave the connector attached). I have used these with several parts from other manufacturers with 100% success. What is Tag Connect? - Tag Connect 

0 Kudos
mfugere
Contributor III

Hi,

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but I just finished a product design of a handheld device that uses (2) S08 processors on board.  I kep all (6) pins of the BDM interface but used a 50-mil pitch lower profile female (socket) part.

SAMTEC .050" pitch 6 pos female socket  P/N   CLP-103-02-G-D

We then just made up some small adapter PCBs (postage-stamp sized) to convert the 100mil pitch 6 way male header that mates with the typically .100" square ribbon cable connector from the PE Micro programmers  to the 50mil pitch mating SAMTEC header to plug into the PCB.   I can basically fit the (2) programming/debug connectors on the PCB in the same real estate as (1) of the "standard" .100" 6 pos BDM header, and much less than half the height (which was a big issue for me).

Hope this helps!

Mike

0 Kudos