cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MM912J637 D2DFCLK and PRESC register

ianwilson
Contributor II

Hi all,

We are using the MM912J637.  Have been for a few years now but I think we are uncovering an old issue now.

I am finding the lifetime counter is giving a wake-up about 5% too early. I want 5 seconds but am seeing about 4.75 seconds.  The error should be better than this as the system has been running and so the ALFCLK should have a recent sync against D2DSCLK. D2DSCLK should have an accuracy better than ~1%. (I'll ask another question on this though.)

In working through this I am looking at the datasheet for the D2DFCLK and D2DSCLK settings.  The description for the use of PRESC is:

pastedImage_1.png

Q1: Is the denominator for D2DFCLK really "2x(PRESC[15,10]+PRESC[9])"? So are there really two ways to get a denominator of 22, say; one with PRESC[15,10]=11 and PRESC[9]=0, and the other with PRESC[15,10]=10 and PRESC[9]=1? This seems a rather unusual implementation? Is the final parenthesis in the correct location?

Q2: As written, Eqn. 2 can't have an odd denominator.  Is this really the case?

Further down in the datasheet (in section 4.3.5.3 of version V5.0 Jan 2015 of the datasheet), Table 69 has Recommended Clock Settings.  The right-most column looks like:

pastedImage_2.png

Q3: What is the "63:64" content showing?  Why the semi-colon?

(Also note that the register here is shown as PRESC[15:9] - using a colon rather than a comma as before (minor issue) but now showing bits 15 down to 9 - so a bit inconsistent.)

Many thanks for any assistance anyone can give.

Regards,

Ian

0 Kudos
2 Replies

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ian,

Q1. The equation is correct and there are two ways to get to e.g. 22. The reason is to be more flexible in the selection of clock sources (D2DCLK) and still select D2DSCLK / D2DFCLK to fit 1ms / ~512 kHz. See picture below with the + bit[9] reduces the blue line to the orange on.

wb.png

Q3. This just reflects that there the two options to reach the same denominator.

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos

ianwilson
Contributor II

I've fixed the initial problem I had - that is the LTC timeout being inaccurate - that was due to a configuration mistake in the PRESC register.  I still think the documentation is a little unclear here though.

How is PRESC[9] handled for the D2DFCLK and why are there two numbers in the last column of Table 69.

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos