MMA8451 FIFO Auto Increment

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMA8451 FIFO Auto Increment

johncampbell
Contributor II

In MMA8451 datasheet  Register Descriptions Table12 Register map for the FIFO auto-increment address it shows that when you read the OUT_Z_LSB register 0x06  it auto increments back to the status register 0x00.

We are doing a burst read of the FIFO autoincrementing through the full 32 sample FIFO data only

Based on previous work with a similar product from another manufacturer I had assumed that  with autoincrement of the FIFO it operated as follows:

(a) Read oldest sample X_MSB,X_LSB,Y_MSB, Y_LSB, Z_MSB, Z_LSB then next sample  X_MSB,X_LSB, Y_MSB etc...

Reading the datasheet if you started with X_MSB

(b) it would do X_MSB,X_LSB,Y_MSB, Y_LSB, Z_MSB, Z_LSB, STATUS then next sample  X_MSB,X_LSB, Y_MSB, Y_LSB, Z_MSB, Z_LSB, STATUS...etc

My buffer data shows that it operates as per (a) and doesn't autoincrement back to Register 0x00 as the datasheet shows

Otherwise my data would be scrambled with every 7th location in the buffer having status data rather than axes data

The product has been extensively tested and going on the datasheet it could never have worked.

Question: Can you confirm the operation of autoincrement from Register 0x06 back to 0x01 or 0x00

regards John Campbell

0 Kudos
1 Reply

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi John,

You are right, when the FIFO is enabled, the auto-increment address of register 0x06 is 0x01, not 0x00.

We will correct it in the next datasheet revision.

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos