Which filesystem is best for imx6 based boards?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which filesystem is best for imx6 based boards?

ramanareddy
Contributor I

Hi there,

I have a imx6dl based custom board which can boot from external SD card or internal eMMC Flash.

So which filesystems are recommended for SD/eMMC type flashes for imx6dl?

I am using ext4 currently which doesn't allow compression. I heard of jffs2 which allows compression. So which one is better?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ramana,

Yocto supports following compression filesystem formats:

btrfs
jffs2
cramfs

Please note Yocto provides support of many filesystem formats as it is collaborative project targeted for many architectures. Filesystem  formats are related directly to the kernel but not the the BSP, and NXP does not manipulate the kernel when developing the BSPs, so you may investigate if the filesystem you wish to use is compatible with the mainline kernel you want to use.

These filesystems may work for you, however, NXP is not able to confirm they will work without issues as we have not tested on our images.

Below you can see a full list of formats supported by Yocto.

IMAGE_TYPES = " \

jffs2 jffs2.sum \

cramfs \

ext2 ext2.gz ext2.bz2 ext2.lzma \

ext3 ext3.gz \

ext4 ext4.gz \

btrfs \

iso \

hddimg \

squashfs squashfs-xz squashfs-lzo \

ubi ubifs multiubi \

tar tar.gz tar.bz2 tar.xz tar.lz4 \

cpio cpio.gz cpio.xz cpio.lzma cpio.lz4 \

vmdk \

vdi \

qcow2 \

hdddirect \

elf \

wic wic.gz wic.bz2 wic.lzma \

"

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

erdani80
Contributor III

JFFS2, UBI or YAFFS2 are more suited for bare flash memories, not for managed memories such as eMMC, SD or SSD that behave as block devices.

Here you can find more info regarding possible filesystems:

http://elinux.org/images/0/02/Filesystem_Considerations_for_Embedded_Devices.pdf 

0 Kudos