cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN5180 low power card detection current consumption

ronny_stahle
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm investigating the RFID front end PN5180 and wonder if there exists app.note´s, calculations etc on the average current/power consumption for the Low power card detect (LPCD) mode, since I want to create an RFID reader that can operate on a small battery for a long time and the actual amount of real RFID tag accesses will be very low compared to the total time the reader needs to be in "read" mode.

I have looked in the datasheet for PN5180 but there is no info on the "average/standard" ON and OFF times, and also the duty cycle and frequency for the ON sequence needed for the RF transmitter field to be able to detect a RFID tag with a certain responce time.

Anyone out there that can assist ?

/Ronny

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ronny,

PN5180's consumption under LPCD mode is around 15uA, if you need lower power choice, you may use RC663, which is around 3~6uA under LPCD.

Hope that helps,
Have a great day,
Kan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

a_delgado
Contributor II

This is not true! Low power card detection current consumption is not 15uA.

LPCD with 300ms wake-up counter is 220uA

LPCD with 2690ms wake-up counter is about 35uA. But this time is not functional

0 Kudos

a_delgado
Contributor II

Hi Kan,

Under what conditions we can reach the 15uA?

There are any datasheet references or steps?

Thanks

0 Kudos