PTN5100 cc_ctrl1 detail?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTN5100 cc_ctrl1 detail?

denisbohm
Contributor I

The PTN5100 data sheet doesn't really describe the cc_ctrl1 input fully and is listed as an analog input.  Some of the use cases show it connected to ground and others don't show it at all.  I'm interested in the "8.1.6 USB PD Consumer with Type-C receptacle example".  Should cc_ctrl1 be tied to ground?  Or left floating? Or?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

naniel
Contributor I

Thanks Tomas for your reply!

Could you be a bit more specific about whether the pin should be directly connected to GND or trough a pull-down? What value should be used in the latter case if we want to make the chip expose itself as UFP power sink in a dead battery condition?

We're also wondering how this pin relates to the configuration that's stored in the NVM. If MTP bits are programmed to make the chip default to DFP on POR, how does the CC_CTRL1 pin affect the behavior? There's also no hint in either the datasheet or the programming guide about how the NVM can be written at runtime in order to change the POR behavior. How's that done?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Denis,

CC_CTRL1 pin is used to indicate if there needs to be an RD pull down connected CC pins of the PD PHY in default.
In case of a DRP system like a Notebook, you want the CC lines to have RD resistor pull down as default since during a dead battery the Notebook can then start sinking VBUS through the Type C Port when you connect a power charger like Apple or Google charger.

But in systems where the systems are always in DFP role then you should leave CC_CTRL1 as open. An example of a DFP system would be any charger or a Desktop system which does not have a battery and hence might not sink VBUS through the Type C port.

I hope this is clear. If you have any further questions, please let us know.
Best regards,
Tomas
0 Kudos