AnsweredAssumed Answered

Extreme tiny image for imx6ul with ramfs

Question asked by Pieter Cardoen on Feb 3, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 25, 2017 by igorpadykov

Dear

I am trying to build a very tiny image for the imx6ul. The kernel + device tree + rootfs must be smaller than 4Mbyte. I am however noticing some problems.

I first built the mfgtool-initramfs-image but this image has a rootfs size of about 7Mbyte. Distro of this build is poky.

After some searching, I tried to change distro to poky-tiny by adapting this in local.conf and furthermore change PACKAGE_CLASSES to package_ipk. If I build this using yocto, then I get errors like:

| lib/libcoreutils.a(mbrtowc.o): In function `rpl_mbrtowc':
| /home/pic/Documents/Builds/YOCTO/fip-imx6ul/yoctobuild/build/tmp/work/cortexa7hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/coreutils/8.24-r0/coreutils-8.24/lib/mbrtowc.c:97: undefined reference to `mbtowc'
| /home/pic/Documents/Builds/YOCTO/fip-imx6ul/yoctobuild/build/tmp/work/cortexa7hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/coreutils/8.24-r0/coreutils-8.24/lib/mbrtowc.c:100: undefined reference to `mbtowc'
| collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
| Makefile:8089: recipe for target 'src/users' failed

Afterwards, I also tried to build core-image-minimal-initramfs but then I got the error:

ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'initramfs-live-install' (but /home/pic/Documents/Builds/YOCTO/fip-imx6ul/yoctobuild/sources/poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb RDEPENDS on or otherwise requires it)
ERROR: initramfs-live-install was skipped: incompatible with host arm-poky-linux-gnueabi (not in COMPATIBLE_HOST)
NOTE: Runtime target 'initramfs-live-install' is unbuildable, removing...
Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['initramfs-live-install']
ERROR: Required build target 'core-image-minimal-initramfs' has no buildable providers.
Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['core-image-minimal-initramfs', 'initramfs-live-install']

Is it possible to give me any advice with one of these errors or give me advice how to get this build within the required memory?

Thanks

Pieter Cardoen

Outcomes