cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude from build directories disappearing

giovannicasoli
Contributor I

Hi,

I am using CW 10.7 for MCU on a board based on 56F8025.

I have several build configurations, and each creates its own directory, where all results of the build process are stored. Among them, there's an s-record file, that has ".S" extension. This is a problem, because ".S" is recognized as assembly file, and the IDE tries to assemble it. To avoid this, I have excluded the build configuration directories from build.

A side effect of this is that they are not greyed and striked through, like single files, but they disappear from the project browser and there is no way to access them from within the IDE. This happens only with build configuration directories, not with other directories that I create manually.

Even from the Debug configurations window elf files aren't found if I click on the "Browse project" button, because they aren't considered part of the project anymore. The only way to "see" them is using the "Browse" button, but this is quite annoying, since an absolute path is not portable.

An attempt I would like to try is excluding just the ".S" files from build, but this is annoying again, because elf files have a name that includes firmware version, and I need to exclude from build a new file for each version I create.

Is there a way to prevent CodeWarrior from hiding project directories that are excluded from build?

Any hints?

Giovanni Casoli

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

giovannicasoli
Contributor I

Hi Jennie,

thank you for your reply. My problem each version of my software creates an s-record that contains the version. For instance, version 1.0 would generate srecord_output_V1.0.S, whereas version 1.1 would generate srecord_output_V1.1.S. If I hide the s-record file of version 1.0, the solution would be only temporary, because the one generated in version 1.1 would be compiled again. And this is the first inconvenience. The second one is that a clean would remove the s-record file and the "exclude from build" would be forgotten by the IDE.

This is the reason why I would prefer to exclude directories from build without deleting them.

Anyway, I found that building s-records into .obj files does no harm, since no actual code is created.

Nevetheless, doing a build that looks into directories that do not contain actual code is a waste of time. Therefore the problem of directories disappearing would be worth being solved. Other eclipse-based IDE's (for instance LPCXpresso) behave differently.

Thank you again

Best regards

Giovanni Casoli

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Giovanni Casoli

Thanks for your suggestions. I think this is a feature request.

If you want, May I suggest you create a ticket as a feature request  to support system:

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-329745 

Please also attach a screenshot of what feature LPCXpresso has but CW not. Thanks.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Giovanni Casoli,

For testing, I just excluded a .S file from a project, but there is no problem to access it from IDE and check the path. See attached video.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos