Is it possible, to configure one device as a router and a end-device?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible, to configure one device as a router and a end-device?

udoweber
Contributor I

Hello everybody,

as seen in the "ZigBee 3.0 Stack User Guide" (JN-UG-3113) on page 345, you have a 3-bit value named "eLogicalType" to indicate a ZigBee device as a co-ordinator, a router or an end-device.

Is there a posibility, to configure one device as a router AND an end-device. I'm using the JN516x-EK004 Evaluation Kit, for example I want to configure the generic node (with the switches) as a router and an end-device, is that possible?

Best regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies

limcb
Contributor IV

Hi, usually the templates for Router & End Devices are configured as:

Router -> Fully Function Device (FFD) / Always On / Routing

End Device -> Reduced Function Device (RFD) / Sleepy Node / Poll Parent, no Routing

What device are you trying to create ? What should it do ?

What function of the Router and what function of the End Device do you need ?

0 Kudos

udoweber
Contributor I

For Example, I'm in a 60 meters long hallway. At the beginning is the coordinator, in the middle the switch and at the end the lamp. Now when I'm pressing the switch for the light in the middle, I want to control the lamp at the end. So the switch in the middle should be an router to expand the distance of the network and the switch at the same time.

Generally said, it should be a mesh network, with a switch and router at once.

0 Kudos

limcb
Contributor IV

Hi, if you are using the Stack, you could just implement the switch function on the Router. The meshing is already implemented. 

Off the top of my head, for that specific example, that could be done by :
Router --Unicast--> Coordinator ;

Coordinator process payload ;

Coordinator --Unicast--> Light (hop through Router).

Cons: Coordinator needs to Discover & keep track of what Address is what Type of device. Generates more traffic, more latency, more collision. 

or the more proper(?)/compliant(?) way,

Router & Light are Bounded together.

Router --Bound Data Unicast--> Light

Cons: Coordinator does not know status(if needed) unless Coordinator poll Light, or Light has implemented Reporting feature. Extra step for Find & Bind. 

You could look into ZCL for even more compliance. 

There are many more styles you could look into. 

0 Kudos

udoweber
Contributor I

Ok, thank you for your answer.

How to implement the switch functionality on the router, that is exactly what i`m looking for.

I can`t find it in the stack...

0 Kudos