Kinetis motor control appropriate for micro pump?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis motor control appropriate for micro pump?

jerrolderickson
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm an EE undergraduate student, recently assigned to a research team designing a pump for liquid CPU cooler. The pump impeller is approximately 2 inches (50 mm) in diameter and has slots for permanent magnets, and will act as the rotor of a BLDC motor, seated in a stator with coils. Attached is a picture of a prototype rotor, where you can see slots for six magnets.

I'm trying to find a suitable motor controller to test our pump design. The motor will likely be putting out less than 1.5 W of power. Are any of the Kinetis series motor control MCUs appropriate for this purpose?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

pavelsustek
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

based on your description, the motor seems to be very small. To select the right Kinetis device, it's quite important to know which control technique will be used to drive the motor. Either trapezoidal BLDC sensorless control or sinusoidal Field Oriented Control (FOC).

I would recommend you to visit following pages to get more details on techniques mentioned above:

www.nxp.com/motorcontrol_pmsm

www.nxp.com/motorcontrol_bldc

Both pages contain application examples for motor control Kinetis parts (KV and KE families). 

Regards,

Pavel

0 Kudos