AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I run a Qt5.7 FB example on i.MX6DL

Question asked by Michael Worster on Jan 23, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 by gusarambula

I'm attempting to come up with a modern Qt (5.6/5.7/5.8) example running on my hardware, which is a custom board with an i.MX6DL loosely based on the SABRE SD design. My goal is to display without a specific built in windowing system (e.g. no Wayland) but to use the FrameBuffer via. EGLFS.

I have downloaded the OpenEmbedded layers NXP suggests for the SABRE, including the meta-fsl-bsp-release which includes a Qt5 sample image (fsl-image-qt5.bb) however I have two problems with this:

1) This appears to be based on X11 or Wayland windowing, which I'd like to avoid

2) The branch is based on an older Qt5.5 version

In an effort to achieve my desired results I have started with a core-image and added in the Qt packages noted in the fsl-image-qt5.bb recipe from the meta-fsl-bsp-release layer, after pulling a new meta-qt5 version based on Krogoth (Qt5.6). I have also explicitly removed "x11" and "wayland" in an effort to force the framebuffer to run directly (which I understand EGLFS is the default for).

Here's my recipe:

require recipes-core/images/core-image-base.bb

IMAGE_INSTALL += 'qtbase qtbase-examples qtbase-fonts qtbase-plugins'
IMAGE_INSTALL += 'cinematicexperience openssh-sftp-server'

DISTRO_FEATURES_remove ='x11 wayland'

My questions at this point:

1) Should this work? (It's currently, slowly, building on a VM so feedback would be helpful)

2) Are there are pieces I'm missing that the core-image-base won't have?

3) Are there any examples of Qt running on the framebuffer using EGLFS on a i.MX6Q/DL part? I haven't found any yet.

Outcomes