How to upload firmware to an MKL27Z circuit?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upload firmware to an MKL27Z circuit?

kicad1978
Contributor II

Hi! Allow me the simple question. I connected a MKL27Z circuit via USB to my Win7, and the device manager

seems to have recognized it. How may I upload my firmware?mmc_2017-01-13_20-42-01.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies

kicad1978
Contributor II

Hi Kerry! Thanks, I finally got the firmware on, after a long journey. At first KinetisUpdater.exe

(E:\Program Files\FSL_Kinetis_Bootloader_1_2_0\bin\win\KinetisUpdater\KinetisUpdater.exe)

crashed. I could solve it by updating my Microsoft .NET 4.0 to .NET 4.5.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI kicad1978,

This request already wrote in the kinetis bootloader v2.0.0 release notes.pdf:

pastedImage_7.png

So, next time, please read the release note, must keep the tool meet the release note demand.

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi kicad1978,

What the board you are using?

If you just want to download the code to the MKL27, you can use the debugger to download it.

If you want to use the KBOOT to download the code,  because the KL27 have the ROM bootloader, you can use the KBOOT2.0 to download the code.

More details, please refer to :

NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2.0.0 package

There has a lot of document in the package.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

kicad1978
Contributor II

Hi Kerry! I'm using a custom PCB with an MKL27Z on it.

I'm running Windows7 and KinetisUpdater.exe crashes :-(

So I guess I have to use blhost.exe to upload the firmware to the chip.

How do I proceed? I managed to do this:

""

Inject command 'get-property'
Response status = 0 (0x0) Success.
Response word 1 = 1258356736 (0x4b010000)
Current Version = K1.0.0

""

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Kicad1978,

Please tell me the full name of your KL27Z, because KL27 have a lot of part number.

You can use the UART bootloader, pin PTA2 is LPUART0_TX, PTA1, LPUART0_RX.

Then refer to this document:

http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/user-guides/KBTLDRDEMOUG.pdf 

http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/user-guides/KBTLDRUG.pdf 

Please tell me the chip full name, then I will give you some connect picture.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

kicad1978
Contributor II

Hi Kerry! Sure. It's a MKL27Z128VLH4, and I like to program it via USB ..

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Kicad1978,

Sorry for my later reply.

Now, I take FRDM-KL27 board as an example, to show how to use the USB bootloader to download the application code.

You can find a  FRDM-KL27 board and follow my step.

1. Plug a usb cable in J13 and another USB cable in J10.

2. open KinetisFlashTool in KBOOT2.0:NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\bin\Tools\KinetisFlashTool\win

Choose USB-HID, you will find the VID and PID number:

pastedImage_1.png

3. Select the KL27 .bin file  in the browse.

I have attached a bubble.bin file for your testing.

pastedImage_2.png

4. Press the onboard reset button, and then quickly click connect button in the KinetisFlashTool

pastedImage_4.png

You will find the log is connected.

5. click update button, to program the application code with USB interface.

The following picture shows the application code is successfully downloaded to the board, you can check the board function, when you move the board, the on board led is blinking.

It means the USB ROM bootloader works.

pastedImage_1.png

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please let me know!

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

Use the blhost program found in the KBoot package.

Kinetis Bootloader|NXP 

0 Kudos

kicad1978
Contributor II

Please, anyone? I stuck with finding an approach ...

0 Kudos