Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX6UL/ULL LDO Bypass - allowed voltage ripple

Jump to solution
markusb
Contributor I

Hi,

I assume that the iMX6UL is not really different from other members of iMX6x Family in the sense of this question, but I used iMX6UL in the header of this question because this is the processor I currently deal with.

1.)

I cannot find a quantitative specification about how big the voltage ripple of an external DC/DC can be, so that the iMX6UL can be safely used with the internal LDOs bypassed. I only find sentences like

"The voltage rails that have internal LDOs (core, PU, SoC) require very precise and accurate levels. An external switcher won't be able to provide such an accurate voltage due to its switching nature", which does not really help.

2.)

Also, looking at e.g. SPF-28617, I see that the common ARM/SOC rail "VDD_ARM_SOC_IN" is driven by a DC/DC switcher. In AN5170 one can see in Table 1, that the internal LDOs are indeed enabled for this hardware setup. However, what about the deepsleep mode in this case? The DVFS circuit used in this schematic seems to set the external DC/DC setpoint to 0.925V, which is just 25mV above the minimum VDD_SOC_IN voltage as specified in datasheet - however, the SOC LDO is bypassed in this usecase?

Thanks a lot!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Markus

allowed ripple 5%.

Best regards
igor

View solution in original post

3 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Markus

1. for ripples please check Hardware Development Guide for the i.MX 6UltraLite

Applications Processor Table 10. Power and decoupling recommendations

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/user_guide/IMX6ULHDG.pdf

2. right, SOC LDO is bypassed as described in

i.MX6UL Datasheet Table 15. Low Power Mode Current and Power Consumption

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/data_sheet/IMX6ULCEC.pdf

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
markusb
Contributor I

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your reply. Of course I had a look into the Hardware Design Guide, but I am afraid that does not answer the question. If I simply could use the suggested decoupling, it would not be too much of a question. However, it seems that my design cannot use the "default" decoupling recommendations because of other constraints. This makes it important to know some numbers..

Kind regards,

Markus

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Markus

allowed ripple 5%.

Best regards
igor