cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKW30Z Oscillators

michaelperreca
Contributor II

Hello All,

I'm in the process of bringing up an MKW30Z and doing the hardware checkout.  One of the things I like to do with any hardware is confirm that the clocks and voltages are working as needed before I give the board to my programmers.  While all my voltages check out, my clocks don't seem to work.  I've used the same crystals as the freedom board so I know the crystal is sufficient and even tried adjusting the load capacitors.  I'm not a software guy but reading the development guide, it appears you can turn on and off the clocks.  Should a new, blank chip, start the oscillators on power-up with the RESET  (PTA2) line held high?  Or do I have to wait for the software guys to get in there an enable the clocks in code through JLINK?

Thanks.

2 Replies

michaelperreca
Contributor II

Once I hooked up the JTAG device and inserted code, everything fired up as it should.  Thanks for the help

0 Kudos

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Michael Perreca

Yes OSC module need to be enable. The OSC module in conjunction with an external crystal will generates reference clock. In this case you will see a wave with noise in your out if this module hasn't been enabled by software, it need a time to start-up and stabilized.

Hope this information helps you
Have a great day,
Jorge Alcala