Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDDHIGH/VSNVS diode voltage drop with MMPF0100 on startup

Jump to solution
electricar
Contributor I

Hello,

like described in the i.MX6 Datsheet Rev.4 07/2015 on page 32:

"VDD_SNVS_IN supply must be turned ON before any other power supply. It may be connected
(shorted) with VDD_HIGH_IN supply."

I connected VDD_SNVS_IN and VDD_HIGH_IN at the i.MX6. Those rails are powered from the VGEN5 (+3V0_VDDHIGH) by the PMIC MMPF0100NPAZES with custom fuses. It's set to be powered first after power on.

Unfortunately I get a strange behaviour on the +3V0_VDDHIGH rail (which is connected to the VDD_SNVS_IN and VDD_HIGH_IN of the i.MX6). It looks like there is a diode voltage drop on the +3V0_VDDHIGH rail (2,6V instead of 3,0V) until the second rail +1V375_VDDARM gets powered by the PMIC.

Could this be a problem?

Thank you very much in advance!

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Yes, the same recommendation apply when using the i.MX6 Quad and Solo versions.

U9 is not needed, but it is recommended for robust designs, VDDHIGH_IN in some cases may require much more current than VGEN5 can supply, so the optional LDO can supply both VDDHIGH_IN and VDD_SNVS_IN loads to meet the additional current requirements.

Have a great day,
Jose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

This should not cause any problem, but since you are using VGEN5 to supply VDD_SNVS_IN and VDD_HIGH_IN, I want to make some extra recommendations:

In case that you are connecting VDDSNVS, a Diode (D10 in the image below) is required to correct a problem on a small number of i.MX6 DualLite parts in which VDDSNVS does not come up when VDDHIGH_IN is applied.

pastedImage_2.png

VDDHIGH was placed on VGEN5 early in the design as a compromise solution for a board designed primarily for software development. Validation of the i.MX6 processor has shown that operations at elevated temperatures may cause VDDHIGH_IN to require much more current than VGEN5 can supply.

It is recommended for robust designs potentially operating at more extreme temperatures for VDDHIGH to be supplied from a power rail that can supply 250 mA or more.

This allows for datasheet maximum of 125 mA for internal VDDHIGH_IN loads plus 125 mA for external PHY IO loads.

The optional LDO U9 shown on this page could be reconfigured to supply both VDDHIGH_IN and VDD_SNVS_IN loads to meet the additional current requirements:

pastedImage_3.png

For more details I recommend you to take a look at the attached schematic.

Have a great day,
Jose

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
electricar
Contributor I

Hello Jose,

thank you very much for your answer. We are using the i.MX6 Quad and Solo, not the DualLite.

Is the high current consumption on VDDHIGH a problem on the Quad version?

Also in the schematic this info is written near the LDO U9:

"U9 is no longer required for PF0100 VSNVS issue, but may be desired for NVCC_PLL_VOUT"

So is this still a problem?

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Yes, the same recommendation apply when using the i.MX6 Quad and Solo versions.

U9 is not needed, but it is recommended for robust designs, VDDHIGH_IN in some cases may require much more current than VGEN5 can supply, so the optional LDO can supply both VDDHIGH_IN and VDD_SNVS_IN loads to meet the additional current requirements.

Have a great day,
Jose

0 Kudos