Which NXP pressure sensor to use for -20 in hg - 25 psi that will compensate for changes in altitude?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which NXP pressure sensor to use for -20 in hg - 25 psi that will compensate for changes in altitude?

matthoneycutt
Contributor II

Basically, needing something that will measure vacuum and pressure in the -20 in hg - 25 psi range, and will also compensate for altitude. The range can be expanded. At least 0.1 resolution.

Price is a factor as this will used on a production board. 0-4.7v output range if possible. (Digital is an option but not preferred)

My pressure sensor knowledge is not that great. Seems I may want vented? We currently use the MPXH6400 in our design but it is sealed, which from what I can tell does not compensate for changes in atmosphere.

Please also link the 3d STEP model as well. (I wish I knew how you guys were finding these)

Cheers!

-Matt

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

matthoneycutt
Contributor II

Bump for reply please.

Need a sensor that will work from -20 in hg up to 25 positive psi. It needs to be differential or gauge (because we are showing boost/vac reference to atmosphere.

I tried the MPX4250DP and will only go to -2 inhg (.072v), which will not work for our device. 

Thanks in advance.

-Matt

0 Kudos

david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Matt,

I have to personally apologies for the delayed response.

When you say that you need a sensor to work from -20 in hg up to 25 positive psi you mean from -67.72 kPa to 172.369 kPa right? Do you mean 0 to 172.369 kPa? Why are you using different units?

You may refer to the suggestions below:

- MPXx4115-115 to 115kPa Vacuum Integrated Pressure Sensor

- MPXx2200: Differential, Gauge and Absolute Pressure Sensor (0 to 200kPa)

Please let me know if I understood your question. I will be glad to help you finding the correct device.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Matt,

Thank you for writing.

Indeed, the MPXH6400 is an absolute pressure sensor, which means that pressure is applied on Port P1 of the sensor while the Port P2 of the sensor is a vacuum sealed reference.

Usually, one way to measure vacuum would be using a differential pressure sensor leaving pressure Side (P1) at atmosphere pressure and applying vacuum pressure at Vacuum Side (P2).

You just have to keep in mind that to keep P1 > P2.

If you need to use the atmospheric pressure as a reference, you may use a gauge pressure sensor such as:

MPXV6115V, -115 to 0 kPa, Gauge, and Absolute Pressure Sensor.

pressure sensor.jpg

Please find more information about the device recommended here.

In regard with your last request, please review the 3D STEP models from the NXP communities at the following links:

1. 3D STEP model: Unibody Package Case 344-15
  2. 3D STEP model: Unibody Package with Axial Single Port Case 867F-03
  3. 3D STEP model: Unibody Packge with Dual Side Port Case 867C-05
  4. 3D STEP model: Unibody Packge with Side Port Case 867B-04
  5. 3D STEP model:MPL3115A2 LGA 8 Package
  6. 3D STEP model: SSOP Axial Port Package 1317A
  7. 3D STEP model: SOP Dual Side Port Package_1351-01
  8. 3D STEP model: SOP Top Side Port Package_1369-01
  9. 3D STEP model: SOP Axial Port Package_482A-01

I hope this information will be useful for you. Please let me know if you need more detailed information.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

matthoneycutt
Contributor II

Thank you David for your reply! I am sorry my question I think misrepresented some information.

I am looking to go from -20 in hg through 25 psi.

For example, I want to measure an engine in both boost and vacuum. 

Would the MPX4250DP work in this case? 

Thanks for sending over those STEP model links!! Greatly appreciated. NXP FTW

Thanks 

-Matt

0 Kudos