cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC9S08PA4A programmer

rianzu
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm new to Freecale MCU's but playing a lot with others.

I want to start a project with MC9S08PA4A but no cheap EVM or standalone programmer available.
However, I found some demo board DEMO9S08SF4 for nearby version, MC9S08SF4
http://uk.farnell.com/nxp/demo9s08sf4/sf4-usb-bdm-pot-demo-board/dp/1835062

The question is, can I use this for programming MC9S08PA4A too?
I mean, can the board act as programmer for other MCU's such as PA4A?
(there is a unpopulated programming header on this board)

Thanks in advance,

Labels (1)
7 Replies

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi,

A look at the schematic:

http://cache.nxp.com/assets/downloads/data/en/schematics/DEMO9S08SF4SCH.pdf?fsrch=1&sr=4&pageNum=1 

shows that it is has OSBDM based programmer on the board BUT there doesn't appear to be any option to isolate the on-board programmer from the on-board target which would be necessary to program an external device.  You would need to remove the SF4 or cut some tracks. The BDM header appears to be intended to use an external programmer to program the on-board target.  It's also rather expensive.

Do a search for USBDM for a opensource programmer.

There are some links to suppliers here:

USBDM: USBDM Debugger interface for Freescale RS08,HCS08,HCS12,Coldfire and ARM-Kinetis Devices. 

(Required disclaimer - I am not disinterested :smileyhappy:)

bye

rianzu
Contributor II

Hi pgo and thanks for reply,

This is not important, I can cut wires or de-solder MCU and use as programmer. This is because usually, on EVM you can do a lot but for real applications you may need another MCU package, another MCU from the same family and so on. The question is this EVB can be used as programmer?

Asking because I've done the same thing with LPC82x boards and works quite well. I don't want to use opensource stuff since you cannot rely on developers that maintain 1-2 years and then leave project forever. See Atmel.

Some manufacturers just make a special firmware instead of general purpose programmer, so you cannot program other type of MCU that is mounted on EVB.

Thanks in advance for clarifications,

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Rian,

USBDM originated about 2007.  It is now 2017.

(2017-2007) >> 2 I think

OSBDM (original version from Motorola (now Freescale) existed for about 7 years at a guess).  I'm not sure what the lifetime of the JM60 version OSBDM in the board you are considering is but I would be surprised if it was that long.

I would expect the OSBDM-JM60 programmer on the board you are  considering to be able to program external targets if you modify the board.  No guarantees though.

You can compare the hardware with the reference design here:

http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/user-guides/OSBDMTAPUG.pdf 

If you are serious about  a programmer with long term support you better buy a P&E Multilink.

bye

rianzu
Contributor II

Ok, I took a look and P&E Multilink seems nice! The price is acceptable too.

This integrates with Freescale's IDE? I mean I can debug too?

Asking because NXP for example  is using a customized Eclipse, made by 3'rd party and I haven't seen options for other programmers / debuggers like in Keil for example. Moreover, in LPC Xpresso (IDE) very often their USB programmer emulation from EVB it's a complete crap, resetting many times.

Thanks for tips anyhow!

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Rian,

The P&E programmer is supported on the Freescale tools.  I have used it with various Codewarrior varieties for HCS08, HCS12 and Coldfire (including KDS and Eclipse based Codewarrior) The later versions support Kinetis and the other ARM devices.

This supports use with source-level debugging in the IDEs.

I believe stand-alone programming software is a separate product but I have no direct experience.

I suggest you contact P&E directly if you have concerns. 

The Eclipse based tools appear to be a popular approach for embedded systems these days as they are easily extended. For example the opensource USBDM plugins work with eclipse (or KDS/Codewarrior for that matter).  The IDEs used by many ARM distributors use Eclipse with tools with the open source GNU ARM toolset.

You can find a list of tools and such for the MC9S08PA4A on the NXP website for the device.

S08P|8-bit 5V EEPROM with TSI MCUs|NXP 

bye

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

I own several P&E Multilink and Cyclone devices.  All of them work well with CodeWarrior, as well as KDS (occasional bugs notwithstanding).  For standalone programming you want the Cyclone series.  If you pick up an old Cyclone used, make sure you get the version with the LCD.  I've got one of the really old ones and it's not very good as a production programmer.

Also, be aware that P&E forces an artificial limit on the number of images you can store on a standalone Cyclone.  It doesn't matter how small your images are, if you want more than (I think) 6 loaded, you'll need to pay hundreds of dollars more for a license to use the CF card expansion.

Scott

0 Kudos

rianzu
Contributor II

Hello,

Nobody here?

0 Kudos