cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL ES 3.0 vs OpenGL ES 2.0

ganesank
Contributor III

Hi,

We are currently using OpenGL ES 2.0 in i.MX6D Linux platform. Are there any performance gains in using OpenGL ES 3.0? 

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

claymontgomery
Contributor IV

There are at least two versions of the i.MX6 Dual. The "DualLite" version has no GPU for OpenGL ES at all. The regular "Dual" version does have the same GC2000 GPU as the Quad and it performs similarly in my testing.

OpenGL ES 3.0 will not perform any better than OpenGL ES 2.0 unless you need some feature that is new to the 3.0 API specification. Vivante has made significant progress in improving their OpenGL ES drivers, so it's important to use the latest version regardless of whether you need 2.0 or 3.0.

Regards, Clay

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The i.MX6Dual processor does not support OpenGL ES 3.0 specification at all. Only the i.MX6DualPlus and i.MX6QuadPlus processors can support it.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

ganesank
Contributor III

Hi Artur,

Could you please reconfirm this whether OpenGL ES 3.0 is not supported dual-core? 

There are test application for ES3 in opt/fsl-gpu-sdk/GLES3 folder in Yocto 2.1 FSL community BSP which makes me to think it is supported

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I meant that there is no hardware acceleration for OpenGL ES 3.0 in the i.MX6Dual processor. Implementing the OpenGL ES 3.0 support in software may cause high system overhead.

0 Kudos