cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx233/i.mx28 sucessor

mlopez
Contributor III

Hi,

Any more people think that it would be a good idea to create a i.mx233 or i.mx28 sucessor?

Just update it with a more modern core (A7). Keep the integrated PMU.

Any other NXP solutions (for example i.mx6ul) needs a lot of external components that leads to a more expensive product, nearly double price and space than i.mx233/i.mx28 solution.

It would be a real winner for IoT solutions.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello mlopez,

There is not a direct replacement per se but as Luis mentioned there are some i.MX6 processors designed with the IoT and wearable applications in mind.

You may find implementations such as the Warp Board interesting (link below).

http://revotics.com/warp

Regards,

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello mlopez‌,

No plans for i.MX223/28x direct replacement, but you could consider the new i.MX6ULL, designed for cost sensitive applications and optimized for low cost PCB design. i.MX6ULL + PMIC PF3000/3001 would be the natural replacement of i.mx2x devices.

Luis

0 Kudos

mlopez
Contributor III

Hi Luis,

Yes, this an option, but it is not at the same price point. Even with the i.mx6ull, the PMU and associated components gives double price than i.mx233 solution.

The i.mx28 and i.mx233 power supply, integrated and with only one coil for 3 dc/dc, gives better price in less space. And the i.mx233 integrated audio codec gives a plus to make audio applications even smaller (and now voice control for IoT is a trending topic).

A PMU module with integrated inductor and capacitors inside could be another solution.

A SCM-i.MX6ULL low cost single chip module, with low cost pcb 4 layer routing (no BGA if possible) could also be great.

Regards

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi mlopez ,

I know that i.Mx233/28 are great very integrated and low cost solution but unfortunately there is not plan for direct replacement. I agree it would be great to have PMU inside, but for some reasons, it is not possible.

6ULx support DDR newer technologies, QSPI that allows execution in place, security features, etc. also save BOM cost. Our IOT solutions with i.Mx6Ux, i.MX7 support IOT solutions like Homekit, Android things (Brillo) and others. Also a 6UL border gateway reference design with NFC reader/card emulator, secure chip A7xx series, BLE, Thread/Zigbee and yes voice control is other feature in consideration for our IOT solutions. If you consider all the enablement around the i.MX solutions, it gives you a great IOT development platform. 6ULx, i.MX7 are very competitive solutions even if the PMIC/discrete power supply and external audio coded is needed.

Luis

0 Kudos