Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QorIQ T1040 DIFF_SYSCLK internal termination

Jump to solution
fdm
Contributor IV

Hi,

According to T1040 Family Datasheet, there is an internal 100-Ohm termination at DIFF_SYSCLK input.

In my custom T1040-based board I'm observing two rather different waveforms at DIFF_SYSCLK_P pin.

The first is for my default setup - SYSCLK is not used and pulled to ground:

Scope-NoTerm.png

The second is for reworked board where both SYSCLK and DIFF_SYSCLK are connected to the clock source:

Scope-Term.png

DIFF_SYSCLK was selected as the clock input to the chip in both cases. Clock source is CDCM6208 in LVDS mode.

Next two pictures show DIFF_SYSCLK at T1040 pins (red/green - SE, blue - Diff) simulated with HyperLynx - unterminated at the CPU end:

Sim-NoTerm.png

... and with internal 100-Ohm termination: 

Sim-Term.png

Please confirm that SYSCLK input must be connected to the clock source in order to enable internal termination at the DIFF_SYSCLK pins.

What another negative effects might be expected if SYSCLK is not connected?

BR,

Denis

(P.S. There is the discussion of T1024 DIFF_SYSCLK termination)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
fdm
Contributor IV

Serguei,

These pins (cfg_eng_use) have very poor and somewhere inconsistent description through the documentation.

In particular, there's misguiding note in datasheet for all three of cfg_eng_use pins (note 21 at page 46):

"This pin should have an optional pull down resistor on board. This is required to support DIFF_SYSCLK/DIFF_SYSCLK_B".

(There's the same note in T1024 DS) 

Some hours of experimentation showed that the internal termination is activated if (and only if) all conditions are met:

1) CPU is out of POR (i.e. PORESET_B is deasserted)  or  SYSCLK is applied; Обновлено

2) cfg_eng_use0 is pulled down;

3) cfg_eng_use1 and cfg_eng_use2 both pulled up (not down) at the moment of PORESET_B deassertion. Обновлено

BR,

Denis

Новое

These pins (cfg_eng_use) must be in a valid state not only at the moment of POR deassertion, but all the time during the PORESET_B assertion!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
fdm
Contributor IV

Serguei,

These pins (cfg_eng_use) have very poor and somewhere inconsistent description through the documentation.

In particular, there's misguiding note in datasheet for all three of cfg_eng_use pins (note 21 at page 46):

"This pin should have an optional pull down resistor on board. This is required to support DIFF_SYSCLK/DIFF_SYSCLK_B".

(There's the same note in T1024 DS) 

Some hours of experimentation showed that the internal termination is activated if (and only if) all conditions are met:

1) CPU is out of POR (i.e. PORESET_B is deasserted)  or  SYSCLK is applied; Обновлено

2) cfg_eng_use0 is pulled down;

3) cfg_eng_use1 and cfg_eng_use2 both pulled up (not down) at the moment of PORESET_B deassertion. Обновлено

BR,

Denis

Новое

These pins (cfg_eng_use) must be in a valid state not only at the moment of POR deassertion, but all the time during the PORESET_B assertion!

0 Kudos
r8070z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Denis,

yes, the power-up (POR) configurations pins are sampled on po-reset negation. I have known that some POR configurations must be set properly for the DIFF_SYSCLK/DIFF_SYSCLK_B termination - I’ve met already the same problem on some T1 device. But pins names I got from the QorIQ T1040, T1020 Data Sheet, Rev. 2, 06/2015. Sorry I copied IFC_WP0_B/cfg_eng_use2 instead of IFC_WE0_B/cfg_eng_use0 just by chance. However for these cfg_eng_use0/1 pins it says: “21. This pin has a weak (~20 kΩ) internal pull-up P-FET that is enabled only when the processor is in its reset state. This pin should have an optional pull down resistor on board. This is required to support DIFF_SYSCLK/DIFF_SYSCLK_B” Now I feel it sounds a little bit vague. But I concluded that only these 2 pins has to be pull down in order to support DIFF_SYSCLK/DIFF_SYSCLK_B. So it seems the data sheet should be clarified.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
r8070z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have a great day,

There are 2 configuration pins IFC_OE_B/cfg_eng_use1 and IFC_WE0_B/cfg_eng_use0. These pins should have pull down resistors on board. This is required to support DIFF_SYSCLK/DIFF_SYSCLK_B. Did you pull-don these pin?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos