Does the i.MX6 support VPU-accelerated MPEG-2 encoding?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the i.MX6 support VPU-accelerated MPEG-2 encoding?

Jump to solution
jameshearn
Contributor I

Does the i.MX6 VPU support VPU-accelerated MPEG-2 encoding? The i.MX 6Solo/6DualLite Applications Processor Reference Manual, Rev. 2, 04/2015 (page 5725) refers to "MPEG-2 encoder partial acceleration" as a feature of the i.MX6 VPU. However, I have been unable to find any further references to this capability in the VPU API Linux Reference Manual, or in the GitHub - Freescale/libimxvpuapi: i.MX VPU API Library source code.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi James

supported decoder as mentioned in attached i.MX_VPU_Application_Programming_Interface_

Linux_Reference_Manual.pdf p.3 :

"MPEG-2
• Fully compatible with ISO/IEC 13182-2 MPEG2 specification in main profile"

Also please check Release Notes Table 10, Table 27. Seems encoder not supported.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi James

supported decoder as mentioned in attached i.MX_VPU_Application_Programming_Interface_

Linux_Reference_Manual.pdf p.3 :

"MPEG-2
• Fully compatible with ISO/IEC 13182-2 MPEG2 specification in main profile"

Also please check Release Notes Table 10, Table 27. Seems encoder not supported.

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!