cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KW30Z minimal connection requirements

romeoordos
Contributor I

Hi!

I have KW30Z chip soldered to qfn32 board and I'm trying to build simple protoboard to make basics tests. The problem is that I can't connect to the target chip with my CMSIS-DAP and J-Link adapters. I have read datasheet of KW30Z and schematics of FRDM-KW40Z(that should be almost the same chip) but still no luck. I see that DC-DC converter works, since I receive 1.8V and 1.5V on power output pins when I assemble buck layout. Also some other chips from ST work with same power lines connection(Only VDD, GND, NRST and SWD pins are connected, crystalless), So I think that Kinetis chips should work this way also. I attach my basic schematic with DC-DC in bypass layout that I suggest should work but it doesn't.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

schematic.jpg

Labels (1)
2 Replies

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Roman,

I was checking your design and i have a few questions about your connections.

-The PTA2 is the reset for the SWD but you don't have to connect directly to the 3.3v, you can use a resistor for pull up.
-Are you are using a crystal oscilator?

I recommended to you see FRDM-KW40Z Freescale Freedom Development Board User's Guide for more details and a better reference.

http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/user-guides/FRDMKW40ZUG.pdf 

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Mario

romeoordos
Contributor I

Hi Mario.

Thank you for response. I have resoldrered the chip and added pull-up resistor to PTA2. I have added decoupling capacitor to that pin also.

And now my j-link can connect and program it. So seems that issue is solved now.

0 Kudos