Charger Detect registers

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charger Detect registers

vix
Contributor II

I work on a SOM from Toradex, based on VF61 SoC.

I'm trying to investigate the built in charger detection mechanism in the Vybrid SoC, so I downloaded the reference manual (VFXXXRM Rev. 0, 10/2016)

I did some tests, both with a dedicated wall charger and with a host charger, but I can't understand completely how registers USB_ANALOG_USB0_CHRG_DETECT and USB_ANALOG_USB0_CHRG_DETECT_STATUS.

If I set FORCE_DETECT bit in the USB_ANALOG_USB0_CHRG_DETECT register I'm able to distinguish three different conditions from USB_ANALOG_USB0_CHRG_DETECT_STATUS register:

• nothing is connected to USB: PLUG_CONTACT = CHRG_DETECTED = DM_STATE = DP_STATE = 1 (all the 4 bits to 1)

• a dedicated charger is connected: PLUG_CONTACT = 0 CHRG_DETECTED = DM_STATE = DP_STATE = 1 (three bits to 1 and one bit to 0)

• a host device (my laptop): PLUG_CONTACT = DM_STATE = DP_STATE = 0 CHRG_DETECTED = 1(three bits to 0 and one bit to 1)

Some questions came out:

1. how does bit CHRG_DET_STATUS in USB_ANALOG_USB0_CHRG_DETECT register works? This is a read-only bit, but it's always zero (even if the charger is conneted).

2. based on reference manual, PLUG_CONTACT bit should be 0 when the USB plug has not been contacted, but in my test it's the opposite. How it is supposed to work?
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Vix,

You could take a look at Chapter 14 “USB Device Charger Detection (USBDCD) Module” of the “Kinetis Peripheral Module Quick Reference” document, as a reference:

http://www.nxp.com/files/32bit/doc/quick_ref_guide/KQRUG.pdf

Hope this will be useful for you.

Best regards!

/Carlos

0 Kudos

vix
Contributor II

Hi Carlos,

the content of Chapter 14 “USB Device Charger Detection (USBDCD) Module” of the “Kinetis Peripheral Module Quick Reference” is not so useful, because it refers to a different platform and the registers and bit definition is quite different.

The first paragraphs of chapter 14 clarify a little bit the USB charger specification, but they're almost clear.

My problem is what I see in VF61 registers when different USB chargers are connected; this seems a little bit different from what written in VFxx reference manual.

0 Kudos