Which contact smart card reader IC supports MIFARE DESFire?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which contact smart card reader IC supports MIFARE DESFire?

johannesritz
Contributor I

I am looking for a smart card reader IC that both supports MIFARE DESFire (AES encryption) and is cost effective.

So far I considered CLRC663 but I was not able to locate in the datasheet, if AES encrypted communication with MIFARE DESFire smart cards is supported.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Johannes Ritz,

The CLRC663 NFC frontend indeed supports the protocol to talk to MIFARE DESFire cards. However for the encrypted authentication part (AES encryption) you would need either a host MCU with a dedicated cryptoprocessor for the cryptographic operations or to use a MIFARE SAM AV2 IC in "X" mode (called SAM X-interface):

MIFARE SAMs for Reader Systems|NXP .

I recommend you to watch the next webinar to understand the general architecture of a NFC Reader and the operation with MIFARE ICs:

NFC Reader Design (I) : How to build your own reader - Themobileknowledge 

Best Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos