Random delays in IRQ triggering with programmable glitch filter

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random delays in IRQ triggering with programmable glitch filter

jdupre
Contributor II

I'm seeing substantial random delays in IRQ triggering when I use the programmable glitch filter on an input used to trigger the interrupt.  I'm seeing this on LPC1517, but I suppose it is the same with all parts that have the programmable glitch filter. As a test, the first thing my ISR does is turn off an output pin, and the last thing it does is turn the pin back on.  This interrupt is set at the highest priority in the system running at 72MHz.

Without the programmable filter I see a very consistent result.  From the moment my input requests the IRQ there is a delay of either ~750ns or 990ns to when my test output falls.  That's a difference of about 17 instructions if I did my math right.  I can deal with that.  Disabling the default 10ns glitch filter produces pretty much the same results.

Next I test with a custom 1us glitch filter (72MHz/72) on the input pin.  As I expected, the quickest response time is 1us longer than without the filter.  However, sometimes it takes up to an additional 1.2us to trigger my test output.  Why the huge variance?  Further testing shows that the random variance in processing time to call the ISR increases as the glitch filter time increases.

Delay-default.bmp 

Default 10ns glitch filter.  Yellow is the IRQ input, green is pin turned off by the ISR.  (IRQ happens about 120Hz & there is 8 seconds of image persistence on the scope.)

Delay-72Mhz x 1.bmp

Here we see the random variance in in time to trigger the ISR with a 1us custom glitch filter enabled.  Again, ISR triggered at about 120Hz and 8 seconds of persistence on the scope.

Can anyone explain why the custom glitch filter is adding so much uncertainty to the timing of my input?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Joseph,

I have reproduced the behavior you mention, I will continue investigating about this and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best Regards!
Carlos Mendoza
Technical Support Engineer

0 Kudos